1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about HDTV crt's from Pana and Sony...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JoseD, Aug 17, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. The newer Panasonic CRT's manage more than 2000 lines horizontally but sadlly only 833 vertically, thus not enouph for 1080p (or i). HDTV connections are missing too.

In the US Panasonic has almost similar models but wich support HDTV and have HDTV connections.
    Is this only so that they don't have their CRT line predating the other Plasma etc. lines because it's cheaper and has a great image too ?

Does anyone knows if they have anything planned ?

What's the situation whith sony's ?

Cheers

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    A big market for CRT HDTVs is looking grim in the UK.

HD has been around in the US for a long time so there was a real incentive for purchasing a CRT HDTV as LCDs and Plasma's cost alot more back then.

HD is really only being introduced in the UK now and with LCD/Plasma prices not as high as they used to be, there isn't a real incentive for a 'common' consumer to purchase a bulky and large CRT based HDTV.

Personally I prefer CRT HDTVs and wish Sony would release their XBR lineup in the UK but its very unlikely. Possibly LG will release their CyberSlim lineup but am not sure.

3. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also remember - CRT sets that take a 1080i input are not actually displaying that - they are not up to the job.
    so expecting 1080p from them is optimistic - although a CRT that's well engineered enough could do so - just look at pc monitors.

4. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I hate plasmas and LCDs so it looks like I'll just not bother with HD. Am I really going to have to wait till OLED hits the shops to get a decent HD screen that can display a proper image?

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

ever thought of dlp tv's they have excellent picture,the closest you get to crt's :thumbsup:

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Toshiba and Canon's SED screens should be out next year (at a price!) which are said to combine the quality of CRT with the slimness of plasma. Personally, I can't wait!

Steve

7. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are DLP the ones that have the rainbow effect if you catch them in the corner of your eye? I have seen some nice picures, but those sort of artefacts are too much for me!

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Some of the Sony XBR sets are accepted to fully display a 1080i signal - and fully resolved the 1920 horizontal samples. Many others don't deliver the full horizontal resolution though - it is true.

On the other hand - CRTs are the only displays that properly display a 1080i (or any other interlaced) signal natively. DLPs, LCDs, Plasmas etc. all de-interlace - which doesn't always do great things to pictures...

9. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now that sounds a bit more like it.

And if that fails, I guess I could get a projector.

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

ive had my set since end of feb and ive not seen a rainbow yet,the problem is some people go looking for them and if you do you will find them and you wont enjoy the set,there are lots of people that own dlp's and dont suffer from rainbow's :thumbsup:

11. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite. That's the one thing where a good CRT should beat everything. It can do real progressive, and real interlace. Chuck in all that contrast and brightness - especially on something that is Trinitron gunned (i.e. Sony or a Mitsubishi Diamondtron)- and it's probably the best all round picture you can get.

I did go for a peek at XBRs only the other day. Ho hum.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    It isn't just people looking for them who see them. I was working in the US recently, and three decidedly non-technical people said roughly the same thing, to the effect of :

"Saw an amazing High definition TV today - really sharp and clear - but there was this strange fault on it, where the picture broke up into colours."

Yep - it was a DLP...

I think this really is a case of differing perceptions and the way brain/vision works. I saw DLP rainbows the first time I saw the technology - and find them quite obvious - though I know others don't. For me the problem with RPTVs is more the screen effect though - that kind of 3D texture ovelaid over the picture.

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - and when you get into the realm of studio grade monitors - CRTs really do have an edge IMHO.

If you look at HDTV Cameras being used on film sets - CRTs are still used for picture quality monitoring purposes... Some TV studios may use plasmas/projectors for monitor stacks these days - but in lighting and camera control you'll normally find a CRT for final quality monitoring. You just can't beat them yet for colour accuracy, and "clean-ness". The processing required for DLP, LCD, Plasma etc. means you just don't really know what you're looking at - especially if it is being de-interlaced.

With a CRT you know that what you see is what you are recording - and there are few artefacts added by the display.

(True Sony are now pushing LCDs for monitoring - but they aren't great IMHO. Good - but not great)

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Except they can't usually do the full 1920 horizontal resolution (I think the XBRs, even the fine pitch ones only go to 1440), and they can't handle 720p natively.

Simply put, there isn't a display device out there that will handle both main HD formats without scaling (well, perhaps a quality CRT projector)

15. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I have a Sun (Sony) 24" PC monitor that I drive with my HD scaler that easily displays 1080p. It accepts and de-interlaces and upscales SD and HD sources like Sky, DVD and DVHS, and can look absolutely brilliant. It doesn't have quite the brightness and contrast of a good CRT TV, but it's the closest thing I've seen to a top 9" CRT projector. Just on a small scale. Going back to a TV or plasma is like going back into the dark ages.

Nick

16. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

17. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - domestic direct-view CRTs don't do 720p natively - as they aren't multi-sync displays (480p and 1080i native is normal - as the line and field/frame rate of them is very similar - 480/60p is the same as 960/60i in H+V rate terms)

However there are non-domestic displays that are 720p and 1080i capable, by using multi-sync technology, though they aren't as bright or as cheap.

I was under the impression that the best XBR was 1920 capable, with others in the range being 1440, but also brighter. However they may have discontinued the 1920 capable device.

Given that relatively small amounts of programme material delivered much detail above the 1440 level there may have been little obvious improvement.

(Non-SR HDCam VTRs were and are in widespread HD production use - and they don't deliver more than 1440 samples of detail, as they use downsampling "on tape". Similarly many HD film transfers seem to have little information above the 1200 or 1300 sample level according to posts on US fora - and US HD on some satellite platforms is only broadcast at 1280x1080)

18. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great :(