Question Question about HDMI Arc

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Aug 1, 2018.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know HDMI cables carry video and Audio to the TV from ( in my case ) DISH Hopper3. I just bought a new TV that has HDMI ARC, my Older TV may have had ARC too but I just used an HDMI cable and plugged my Hopper3 tot he TV and I got video and audio through my TV.

Now I have an older Surround sound system that has an HDMI and Component and optical audio connectors on the back. I have an Optical Audio cable going from the Sound system to the TV and strangely enough, I also have an HDMI going from it to the TV. I get sound through the sound system via the optical cable, I know this because when I remove it I get no sound.

Something tells me I will have to connect the new TV, Dish hopper3 and Sound system up different than is currently set up.

What is the proper way to set the TV, Hopper3 and sound system up I also have a PS4 and would like to be able to have surround sound on the Hopper3, the sound system/DVD player, and PS4?

I will most likely buy a new current surround system also

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Optical and ARC support the same three audio formats PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby/DTS 5.1

If the TV's optical port is able to pass all three of those from any set top box plugged into the TV then you don't need to change anything.

You will need to configure your set top box to pass surround audio.

For HDMI-ARC disconnect the optical, connect the sound system to the ARC labelled port on the TV, set the speaker output to ARC/HDMI in TV settings and see if it works.

3. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you,

When I do not have the JVC TH-G31 on will the sound from the Hopper3 still come out through the TV speakers or will I have to have the JVC TH-G31 all the time to hear TV sound???

I will have another question on how best to set up everything but I need to get the images of each device back inputs so those of you not familiar with everything can see what I have to work with.