1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about full screen

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Feb 27, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, sorry to say i have yet more questions to bug you all with. Tonight while explaining to the wife about HCPV and what I wanted to do I decided to set up my normal PC (AMD1800) and plug it into my projector to see what differenc eif any my crappy pc made to a film compared to my dvd player connected up with composite.

I did try zoom and ffdshow for a laugh but had to reboot as the cpu was at 100% and I couldn't do anything. So i then just settled with mediaplayer10 to play the film. The first thing the wife asked is how come it is smaller... My PJ is native 4:3 and normally on the dvd player I can get the picture set to 4:3 and it is huge (screen is a 2m wide blackout blind) no matte rwhat I tried on the PC i couldn't get the picture to fill the screen, now is this a possible downside to having a smart PC which knows the film is in 16:9 or is it a case of a mupper at the controls??

Its not a problem, just curious to know if I would be able to force screen size etc etc.

BTW, my PC was outputting at 1024x768 which is my PH native res and I would have expected to see an improvement on PQ as I am (to my understanding) using 1:1 pixel mapping and VGA not composite but in all honetsy I couldn't see any difference..

Cheers

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't 4:3 cut the sides off the movie and show you the middle bit only?

WMP10 is not the optimum player for HCPC, really. Which decoders are you using? Try it again without FFDShow in ZP. Alternatively, try Media Player Classic just with Universal MPEG Splitter, DScaler5 MPEG2 decoder and AC3 filter. MPC enables you to resize pretty much whichever way you like.

I still can't get FFDShow to do anything other than spoil whatever near perfect set up I've got. Even including it in the chain with nothing enabled ruins things.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When you say it doesn't fill the screen are you seeing go full width but with black bars top and bottom, or are you seeing a 'letterbox' in the centre with black bars round all four sides?

What graphics card are you using? To get a significantly better picture it's often the case that FFDSHOW is needed since the main issue with playback is scaling to the display size .. if you set 1:1 you're using the graphics card's scaler which isn't often particularly good.

I too am interested in what decoders you have. AFAIK XP/WMP10 doesn't come with any so you must have installed some from somewhere. Again, these are a key factor in PQ.

However, something is very wrong if the PQ using the PC is not a lot better than a composite feed from a player, even without any attempts at tweaking.

4. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is where my ignorance shows through as I do not know what codecs or anything i am using. I do have powerdvd installed I think so I'm not sure it WMP could be using that? By not filling the screen I mean I have black bars on the top and bottom, I can tell the dvd player that my TV is 4:3 and it adjusts the picture to match which gives me a nice full screen, but I couldn't get the PC to do that.

I did try fddshow with zoom but as the PC is not up to that it was struggling to much, I did use fddshow to set the resoultion to 1024*768 and while using media player i jusy had the desktop set to 1024*768 as normal and this is also the resolution for my PJ.

It wasn't helped by the fact that the PJ gives me less options in computer mode, in video mode I can switch between widescreen and normal but in computer mode it just detects the signal coming in and sets itself to that (hence me needing to try to set 4:3 on the PC)

The PQ was better from the PC, but as it was displaying ini widescreen which showed the image at about half the heigh as the 4:3 form the dvd player then it was hard to get the wife to see it (she obviously just said its because the pictures smaller)

Cheers