• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question about external HDD's

dannycorker

Hoping someone can answer this!

When I copy files across to HDD I use TeraCopy, which has an inbuilt test to see if the CRC of the files changes, which it always does when I copy to external. Is this normal or a sign of the HDD failing? And can I fix it if so?

Thanks.

decfsz

Standard Member
Does it fail every file, large and small?
Can you try copying files to a usb memory stick instead to see if that works ok?
If it still fails, it may be worth doing a full memory test and check bios settings.

dannycorker

Does it fail every file, large and small?
Can you try copying files to a usb memory stick instead to see if that works ok?
If it still fails, it may be worth doing a full memory test and check bios settings.

Just tested a little - fails every time for the video files I'm copying or anything bigger, but got a CRC match for sub files (about 30 kb). And when I say fail, remember I mean there is a CRC mismatch - the files are still playable, but I'm wary of any errors that may be being created by this CRC mismatch. I don't have a USB stick but copying to an SD card seems fine.

I ran chkdsk /R a couple of days ago but had to leave it going as stage 4 took about 30 hours. When I cam back computer had restarted, so I assume test finished.

decfsz

Standard Member
It could be the disk itself or the usb interface in the enclosure.
The drive manufacturers web site may have a diagnostic utility that you can run to test it more thoroughly than chkdsk.
e.g Seagate has "Seatools": | Seagate

dannycorker

I tried Seatools as well - the quick tests came up with nothing and I got about half way through a longer one when computer blue screened lol....

decfsz

Standard Member
That's strange, it may be a memory problem then.
You need to download ultimate boot cd which has memory diags.
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview
Boot the cd and run memtest86+
If it passes ok then the only thing I can suggest to test the drive would be to remove it from the enclosure (only if not still under warranty) and temporary install it in the pc.
Boot from the ultimate boot cd and run seatools for dos, which should then be able to test the disk itself directly.

dannycorker

I'm having some trouble with UBCD, not sure why just can't get it to work. Aside from that, do you think formatting the drive will fix whatever the problem is? Because I'm willing to try that lol?

And thanks for all your help so far!

decfsz

Standard Member
No, I don't think re-formatting is going to fix it.

Best to check first why UBCD is not working, what happens when you boot ubcd?

Did you use this pc to download and create the cd? If so, it may also be corrupted.
The ubcd web site has the iso image file checksum which should match your download.
If ok, then it may have been corrupted during the cd burn, did it verify ok after burning?

If it still not working you could try to do the memory test by downloading memtest86+ on it's own and booting a cd with that:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom