1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about every-day projector (eg AE700) usage

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tjobbins, Jan 1, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying my first projector, and have a question which I was hoping someone could help me out with.

Currently I have a Toshiba 42" rear projection TV - sources are DVD (via component), Freeview (SCART) and PC (S-Video). I'm considering replacing this with a projector (quite likely to be the Panasonic AE700), with a screen size of around 84" diagonal.

One concern that I have is how practical this will be in day-to-day usage. I know it'll look amazing for DVDs in a blackened room, but is it practical to have this as the only 'TV' in my living room? In particular my girlfriend is concerned that she won't be able to watch normal TV without having to darken the room - she wants to be assured that she won't be inconvienced by not having a normal TV.

Also I was wondering what the effect of watching normal TV, e.g. Freeview or Sky+, through a projector is? Does it look fine, or does the huge screen size really show up the defects of the source medium? Is it possible to have multiple screen sizes available at the touch of a button - e.g. reducing the size of the output from 84" to 42" - or is this impractical because it'd require manual refocusing each time?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    room needs to be dull if not pitch black.... get a demo and ask them to turn the lights on...... TV looks ok but you will see pixelation etc ideal solution for this is a smallerr LCD TV 22" WS is that can be used during the day etc quite cool when mounted on the wall behind PJ screen or on top or equipment rack (great for seeeing DVD_A SACD menu etc or seting kit up without running PJ

3. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a 40" Tosh rear projection TV and upgraded to a AE700 on the first week of their release. I use mine on a daily basis (850 hours so far) and can highly recommend it. The main issuse/concern of watching the Pj with the lights on is no problem at all. The picture is great with my lights on full and my 4 foot fish tank lights on in the corner on the room. Natural daylight though is a different story, as on a sunny day the curtains have to be closed (or nearly closed) to get a decent picture. Sky doesn't look that bad really on my 100" screen (well it does compared to a DVD) as the smooth screen technology works really well on the 700, and if you want to you can easliy make the screen smalller by changing the zoom and therefore make the sky picture look better. My Pj will go from about 120" to 70" from 13' back by adjusting the zoom. Hope this helps.

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have to say that on low lamp mode my AE700 does not look good in the day at all... If you up the brightness setting it is not awful but contrast drops enormously!!!!!!!

At the moment it gets darkish about 4pm and i find anything from 3:30 onwards is great even though the walls are cream! ;)

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with deano-b , obviously the picture suffers when you have the lights on but the picture is still very watcheable, compared to a dark room their is a huge difference but we are talking about if it looks "ok" with the light on , which it does. My missus has never complained about not being able to see the picture apart from the sunniest of days , even with the tosh the curtains needed to be drawn on really sunny days. Just go for it , i think youll find the picture is perfectly acceptable. As for the 22" lcd idea , does it come supplied with binoculars.

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You're going to need a second TV.
    At height of winter, you may get away with daytime viewing,

but if your girlfriend has any plans to watch in a summery, mid day with sunlight coming into the room, she'll be sadly disappointed.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    If your girlfriend it talking about it now, it *will* be a problem, even if you can watch it in sunglasses on the sunnest of days. Sort her out with a TV. Then you'll be left in peace to dabble with whatever you want.

Can't advise on the dabble factor, I only watch DVD's. But in that respect, the only remotes I have next to me are the DVD and the AV amp...PJ

8. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got my Panny AE700. I am astounded at the picture quaility in "quite" bright rooms. The "dynamic" mode is designed to cater for just that. We lose the sun from our bay window quite early in the day so it is quite a dull room anyway. Without fully closing the blinds you can generate a watchable image using High lamp mode and dynamic.

As for the sky picture, well intially (thursday when I got it) I was disapointed. Most channels were very poor with masses of blocking, artifacts etc. Some channels, such as the movie channels were ok. But somehow over the last few days the picture on nearly all channels is close to DVD quality????? Maybe a combination of running-in and my forever tweaking???

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    This is just my personal opinion of course, but I think normal tv viewing should be done on a smaller display so that you don't lose the impact of size when watching a movie.

Initialy it all may look great do the larger image size, but then when you see a 2.35:1 blockbuster movie looking smaller than Coronation Street, you may have lost the impact that I think the home cinema should give.

If you do use it for tv and you think that you'd prefer movies to have more impact visualy, then try to have tv shows in a 4:3 box inside the 16:9 so that movies look bigger.

Gary.

10. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    thats my thoughts as well, i have used my a300 & my a100 before that for normal tv viewing as well as movie watching. I now feel i have lost the impact of size when viewing a movie on my pj, i have an 8ft wide screen and i now dont get a wow factor when watching on the pj any more. I now intend to get a plasma or lcd which i will mount on the wall and i will watch the tv on that and save the pj for movie and football

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.:)

I have been told that the idea was 'silly' by one person, and 'bizarre' by another. Mind you, the person who said it was bizarre would also have said that white was black if I'd said it was white. :rolleyes:

Gary.

12. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quick one this....I've got one on order :) and am busy getting ready for it.

How long is the lead supplied with it? is it a standard kettle plug type connection or is it hardwired in?

Thanks

Dave

13. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The cable is 115" long, and is one of those clover leaf design plugs, molded both ends as well

Attached Files:

14. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, that will prob reach my socket outlet without any extra work

15. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. On reflection I think I'm going to keep the 42" RP TV. I'll use that for TV, and position my retractable screen in front of it so that I can bring the screen up, hiding the TV, when I want to watch movies etc.

Thanks again :)

Tom

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Wise choice. :)

Gary.

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    also try turning off the colour in your display for a black and white picture, then on really special occasions make it a big time event by using full colorvision

:cool:

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Now that's bizzare.... :rolleyes:

I see you edited your post to remove the initial 'bizarre and silly' comment - the email notification sends the original unedited message.... :laugh:

Gary.

19. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah, wasn't sure I was in a position to say it was bizarre and silly. Or is it?

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I don't think so, but that's just an opinion. :)

Gary.

21. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Ae700 for 3 weeks now. watchin DVD using RGB cable is excellent. But my SCart cable from NTl digi baox to PJ gives poor picture. Any suggestions on how I improve it?

I have mounted it with Duraline clip brackets on an MDF shelf I can dismount it each time after use an only leave two tiny brackets on the wall. This is the neatest idea I've seen yet. (Brackets from homebase for £6.99. MDF shelf cu to size by me £2.00. very cheap and very good I reckon.

Anyway any help on Scart pic quality would be much appreciated.