Question about employment law

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Saldawop, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Company opens a new site and offer permanent and short term jobs.
    Permanent move applied for. Told by HR that as it is a temporary site{permanent site within 18 months) , that a permanent move is not possible as it would be against the law. Meanwhile permanent Jobs advertised on Internet.
    Is it true that it would be illegal? Sounds like BS to me and totally illogical, but don't want to end up with egg on my face when I bring it up.

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,220
    Maybe they are thinking the new site may not be viable and may be closed within 18 months. If they take on new people then they can be dismissed easily. But if they have taken you across (presumably with employment history) then they would have to allow you to move back or offer redundancy - plus you could say "you know what I don't want to move back, I'll take the money).

Can't see where legality comes in - think it more that they are not telling the full story.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    "Illegal" is bounded about far too much.

Certainly for them, if there is a chance that the site will be closed within the 2 years then it'd be logical for them to tell people its a temporary thing so there are no discussions around redundency/relocation monies etc if they decide to close it and you have to move back to your original site.

Also if its temporary and under two years then it also means in theory you can claim travel expenses tax free as the other office remains your permanent place of work. There could be some more senior people who are less keen to have to travel there regularly and at least being able to offer tax free expenses is a win for both sides. If there are long term perms there on a perm basis then it'd be hard to say its a temporary thing thus the expenses have to be taxed.

4. MrSossidge

MrSossidge
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,624
    Permanent job with the company, temporary place of work.