Question about DVR and Sony Bravia Link

drpatterson

Novice Member
Hi

I'm about to take the plunge and ditch my CRT, I'll also be replacing my DVR.

I'm looking at the new Sony's and wonder if its possible to set the DVR timer from the TV EPG. If I find something I want to record do I have to switch to the DVR and go through its EPG or would the TV be able to send the recording info via Bravia Link/HDMI-CEC?

If I have to do it manually WHY? Seems so basic a wish to me and I thought HDMI-CEC meant we could integrate everything nicely.

Now, don't get me started on power LEDs on TVs.....

If anyone has a full bravia-link setup I'd be very interested to know.

Cheers
Bob.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi

I'm about to take the plunge and ditch my CRT, I'll also be replacing my DVR.

I'm looking at the new Sony's and wonder if its possible to set the DVR timer from the TV EPG. If I find something I want to record do I have to switch to the DVR and go through its EPG or would the TV be able to send the recording info via Bravia Link/HDMI-CEC?

If I have to do it manually WHY? Seems so basic a wish to me and I thought HDMI-CEC meant we could integrate everything nicely.

Now, don't get me started on power LEDs on TVs.....

If anyone has a full bravia-link setup I'd be very interested to know.

Cheers
Bob.
Hi Bob

As far as I know, no manufacturers have used this link system to its full potential.
Frankly in its present state it is a complete waste of time and I recommend against its use.

If you programme using the TV EPG, it does not , as one would think be the smart thing to do, send that timer information to the DVDR. Intead it instructs the TV 's tuner to come on [ and the TV if it a type that requires to be on...which is most TV's ] and simply sends an instruction to the DVDR to record.

This has two huge drawbacks.

1 - You cannot use the TV to watch another channel whilst it is recording.

2 - The quality sent out from the TV is the lowest quality composite only, so recordings are very significantly compromised.

Furthermore, these systems are infamously flakey and are easily knocked over. There are many restrictions in their use and Users frequently report losing recordings , especially when more than one recording is programmed.

Avoid. It is a total fiasco.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom