Question about Dolby Pro Logic II on modern AV Receivers.

paulguk

I have an older Yamaha AV receiver and it features Dolby Pro logic II. When I am watching general TV that is broadcast in stereo it works great in that it puts the dialogue to the centre and an ambience to the fronts and rears.

I have been thinking of possibly upgrading and whilst looking at the specs I see that many of the newer receivers no longer support Dolby Pro Logic II. Two models I have been looking at are the Marantz NR1711 and the Yamaha RX V6A. Neither of these feature Pro Logic II. The only one within my price range that does is the lower spec Marantz NR1510.

if I purchase a model without Pro Logic II am I going to lose that ability to create a sudo surround from regular stereo TV broadcast.

gibbsy

I have an older Yamaha AV receiver and it features Dolby Pro logic II. When I am watching general TV that is broadcast in stereo it works great in that it puts the dialogue to the centre and an ambience to the fronts and rears.

I have been thinking of possibly upgrading and whilst looking at the specs I see that many of the newer receivers no longer support Dolby Pro Logic II. Two models I have been looking at are the Marantz NR1711 and the Yamaha RX V6A. Neither of these feature Pro Logic II. The only one within my price range that does is the lower spec Marantz NR1510.

if I purchase a model without Pro Logic II am I going to lose that ability to create a sudo surround from regular stereo TV broadcast.
It's been replaced by Dolby Surround. DS works almost the same as PLII but will use it to put audio into the Atmos domain when there are ceiling or upfiring Atmos speakers present. It will still bring into use all those speakers in the system so your audio will be the same.

You will also get DTS Neural:X which again uses all speakers in the system and it can be very effective. Better, if memory serves me well, than the old PLII.

paulguk

It's been replaced by Dolby Surround. DS works almost the same as PLII but will use it to put audio into the Atmos domain when there are ceiling or upfiring Atmos speakers present. It will still bring into use all those speakers in the system so your audio will be the same.

You will also get DTS Neural:X which again uses all speakers in the system and it can be very effective. Better, if memory serves me well, than the old PLII.
Thanks for that.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
In my experience DS is just like PL2 but better. Don't worry about lack of PL2, in fact the amp with PL2 is missing the superior replacement.

As Gibbsy mentions the competing DTS Neural X option is also pretty good at doing the same job and to me sounds better for some content.

paulguk

In my experience DS is just like PL2 but better. Don't worry about lack of PL2, in fact the amp with PL2 is missing the superior replacement.

As Gibbsy mentions the competing DTS Neural X option is also pretty good at doing the same job and to me sounds better for some content.
Thanks. I was just worried that when I'm just watching something like say Coronation Street I would no longer be getting the dialogue from the centre. I had something in my head that Dolby Surround was something even older than Pro logic I don't know why.

I've been looking at the Marantz NR1711 as I like it's slim size.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom