Question about DIY projector mounts.

S

Shadow Jam

I have looked at several peoples home made ceiling mounts, and whilst i think making it and saving £200 is the obvious way to go, there is one question which strikes me... It seems that alot of these ceiling mounts actually fix onto the pj. Have they actually put like screws into the pj casing or something, or am i just being dense?

I would never actually screw something onto the pj. just seems to be asking for trouble really...

patrober

Ive a DIY one and it doesnt screw into the projector - Its a modded Ikea video player mount (think it is for mounting video players under wall mounted tvs) - It is just a clamp that goes round the projector and holds it that way.

Hope that makes sense.

Pat

S

Shadow Jam

well that is what im intending to do, it seems obvious, but the other way... i have seen so many examples of it i was wondering, is it ok to do it? I mean the only good thing about it would be you know its not going to fall off or something.

(similar note: how do you find the wooden beams in a plaster ceiling?)

PJTX100

Most if not all modern PJ's have 3 threaded holes in the base to accomodate ceiling mounts.

As for finding beams, there are gadgets you can buy from DIY shops to help locate beams / wires etc but some discreet trial & error drilling and the fact that (I think) they are usually 18inches apart may suffice...PJ

S

Shadow Jam

i have a gadget that detects wires... i was wondering if there are wires in the ceiling (and i believe there are a few, for an upstairs room this is) do the wires generally run along the beams, and if not, do the beams have any other metal in them, are they nailed up there or what? thanks again.

PJTX100

Lights are usually hung from the wooden beams and you can usually suss out which way the beams are running. Working on the fact they are equidistant apart you should be able to hit a beam fairly easily. A small pilot hole using your smallest drill will confirm this. I've always found those detectors a bit hit-and-miss but perhaps they are better now...PJ

rjg

You don't really need to find the rafters, and there might not be a rafter in the best place put the PJ...

I used some heavy-duty plasterboard fixings. The fixing goes through a hole, then you insert a bolt into the fixing and do it up, which squishes out a star of metal on the back of the fixing and holds it very tightly in place. Then you use the bolt into the fixing to hold the item up.

Plasplugs do them, or Rawl, look in B&Q.

My ceiling mount ended up being a piece of board slightly bigger than the PJ, with three bolts going through it into the holes in the PJ. That's quite safe as long as you keep to the size of bolts specified. Then the board is itself fixed to the ceiling with three bolts into the fixings. This allows adjustment in various places, with the PJ being only an inch or so below ceiling height.

Monster

rjg said:
You don't really need to find the rafters, and there might not be a rafter in the best place put the PJ...

I used some heavy-duty plasterboard fixings. The fixing goes through a hole, then you insert a bolt into the fixing and do it up, which squishes out a star of metal on the back of the fixing and holds it very tightly in place. Then you use the bolt into the fixing to hold the item up.

Plasplugs do them, or Rawl, look in B&Q.

My ceiling mount ended up being a piece of board slightly bigger than the PJ, with three bolts going through it into the holes in the PJ. That's quite safe as long as you keep to the size of bolts specified. Then the board is itself fixed to the ceiling with three bolts into the fixings. This allows adjustment in various places, with the PJ being only an inch or so below ceiling height.
I've used similar (but not as heavy duty) fixings on mine and it has stayed put for nearly 3 years! And I gave it a good pull to test before hand. It would hold about 20-30kg. More than adequate.

Another way to find the rafters is to drill a pilot hole and push up a piece of wire (old coat hanger) slide it along in the void until you hit a joist. To know the direction of the joists, look at the floor boards in the room above. Joists will be perpendicular to the length of the floor boards.

You do get all sorts of wires and water pipes in ceiling voids. It is not safe to assume there is nothing there. Cables can also be slung in the void and not fixed to joists. Ceiling roses are often fixed straight to plasterboard and not fixed to joists. The pasterboard is also fixed with nails and these will give a reading on a metal detector.

Here are some pictures. I was particularly pleased with the reverse keyhole shape in the ceiling and the cut-out in the ceiling patress so the cables are neat and tidy.

One of the pictures shows the bolts fixing into the bottom of the PJ. M4's IIRC.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Trending threads

Top Bottom