Question about digital audio output from an old DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hotsnot, Jul 30, 2005.

1. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old DVD player (Sony DVP-S315) that doesn't do any fancy DTS or ProLogic decoding and on the analog side only outputs stereo.
    It does, however, have a Toslink optical audio output.
    So my question is: if I connect it up to a receiver that does the decoding (say a Denon AVR-3805), will I get the full surround experience since the DVD player is sending the full digital audio signal over to the receiver ?
    Or do I need to upgrade ?

Cheers,

-Daragh.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The player will give you the full surround experience via the toslink connection. However unless you are a very infrequent DVD watcher, you may want to consider a newer player just to take advantage of the improvements since the 315's were made. However, it has to be admitted that those early Sony's were so much better built than todays.

3. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Cable Monkey. You're right, I've had that machine since 1998 I think and it's still going strong - great build.
    What player would you recommend as an upgrade ?
    I'm looking at the Sony DVP-NS955 and have seen some good comments one here about it.
    What would be the main tech improvements you're referring to since the S315 came out ?