Question about differences between power amps & AV amps?

djw87

Standard Member
I am relatively new to all this, I recently changed from a power amp to an AV amp because I wanted to do 5.1

I was told I could to 2 channel stereo for music but it doesn't sound anywhere near the power or quality of the old power amp

The older amp was 85wpc into 8ohm & the new AV receiver is 90wpc into 8ohm

I need some expert advice :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What power amp did you have and what AV reciever do you have?
As a general guide you need to spend 3 to 4 times the price of a stereo amp on an AV reciever for similar sound quality (and maybe even more). This is understandable since the AV receiver has 3 to 4 times the number of amps in it hence to get the same quality of components for each you have to pay a lot more.
If musical quality is important then people will add power amps and/or stereo amps to their AV receiver by getting an AVR with preouts and using these to connect to the additional better quality amps.
What speakers do you have/had?

djw87

Standard Member
Yamaha AS500 stereo amp to Yamaha RXV471 AVR

Mordant Short avant 916i floorstanders

Many thanks for you help!

djw87

Standard Member
How would I utilize the floorstanders for both the left/right for 5.1 & for a power amp?

Could I double up when wiring the speakers in?

I would only use one amp at any one time?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 471 does not have preouts so you would need a source select switch between the 2 amps and the speakers. Do not connect the 2 amps to the same speaker without the switch otherwise you will damage one or both amps since current will flow the wrong way down the cable. You must have a switch which isolates one amp before engaging the other. You would then have your stereo sources connected to the stereo amp and the multichannel sources to the 471. You would then only use one amp at a time.
I believe the AS500 is a reasonable stereo amp while the 471 is very much a budget AVR so it is no wonder you are hearing a significant difference in stereo performance between the 2.

djw87

Standard Member
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Do you have a web link where I can find this item I need for connecting my speakers to both amps?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom