1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about daylight usage

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RBT, Sep 13, 2003.

1. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm a complete newbie to the projector world, but not to home AV.

I'm building my new home in Florida with construction starting this November. I'm going to build all the home cinema equipment in from day one.

Until a few weeks ago I was going down the large Plasma route (60"+) but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a projector instead. (plasma leaking, "burn" etc)

Only thing holding me back is I want to use it in daylight conditions as well as darkened.

Can you guys give me any advice because I can't find much in the FAQ's and previous discussions on this subject.

BTW, my max. budget is pretty high for the projector/screen is probably around $15K, so I have quite a bit of freedom.

Any advice is most greatly appreciated,

Ross.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With that budget I'd suggest a plasma & projector.

Projector's are pretty useless for "full" daytime viewing, needing darkness to produce their best results.

:smoke:

3. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drat! :(

I was hoping that there would be a projector which could be used for both. Oh well, back to the ol' drawing board then! :)

Thanks Kramer.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A projector is/can never be a replacement for a regular TV (direct view, rear pro. or plasma). The darkest "black" is basically the amount of light hitting/reflected from your screen. Screens tend to be white so one can imagine how "white" dark scenes & blacks will be in daylight conditions.

You'd probably get away watching bright/colourful programs with some ambient light - football, motorsport etc... but movie watching would be a total no no :nono:

Watching a movie on a "big screen" also has an "impact", something which would be diminished by using the PJ all day for regular TV etc..

Just my opinions.

BTW, welcome ;)

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Agreed absolutely.

It is essential, for any type of screen that is illuminated by light being 'thrown' at it, that it is light or white in colour. Otherwise, the light from the projector gets absorbed, rather than reflected. In other words, a dark screen doesn't work (fairly obviously).

A projector CANNOT project black. In other words, it can never make the screen go any darker than it already is. And how dark it already is, is determined by the amount of other light (ie not directly from the projector) is already falling on it.

On the other hand, a screen which is illuminated from 'inside' can actually be quite dark in its unilluminated state. So ambient light has less of an effect.

This isn't a case of which projector - all front projectors are at the mercy of the screen (and the environment).

6. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for the welcome :)

And the advice :)

7. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation Nigel - that makes a lot more sense now. It's one of those things that once its explained, you go '"oh yeah, of course..."

Now all I need to work out is a way of integrating a big Plasma screen and a Projector into the same HC room together in a very neat way... Decisions, decision... :)

Ross.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with answers already posted about light hitting screen etc.... but with that kind of a budget, you should do some research on rear projection - using an LCD/DLP projector to project onto a screen from behind.... Rear projection screens tend to be pretty dark themselves - much the same appearance as a RP tv, and if you're building from scratch, you should be able to factor in a 3 - 4 ft "void" behind the wall where you would otherwise place a screen, and mount the projector on a frame projecting off a mirror onto a rear projection screen.

Have a look at this link for information on the kind of set up you might think about..... care needed with planning, choice of projector and installation.

The very best picture quality will undoubtedly come from front projection onto a regular screen in the normal way, but that doesn't mean that it's the only option...... (imho...)

All the best,

Sean G.

9. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Sean,
    I hadn't thought about that as an option.

I'm hesitant to go that route because it sounds like the same principles used for regular rear-projection TV's - and I don't like the way the images appear once you get 'off axis' - I *much* prefer Plasma for that reason.

Also RP TV pictures typically look too dark for my tastes.

So Sean, is this the same sort of thing as RP TV's with the same 'issues'?

10. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    That's easy. Get a nice tab tensioned electric drop down screen that drops in front of the Plasma when in use.

I agree with the budgets you should go for both.

Cheers
    Marc

11. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'd agree with Kramer. Plasma and Projector. The Plasma for all daylight viewing and ordinary night time tv viewing. The PJ for night time DVD, big tv shows and sports viewing. However theres' bound to be some daytime sports you'd like to watch on the PJ so I would still incorporate the ability to blackout the room in the daytime. Sure the wife wouldn't like the room pitch black all day everyday but I'm sure she wouldn't mind you blacking out the room on the odd occasion so you could use the PJ to watch the big game.

The Plasma can be hung on the wall or you could even get one of those new Av cabinets for all your gear with the ultra cool bonus where the plasma rises up out of it on a lift. Pretty big wow factor when visitors see that. Then you could say, "Oops wrong button", and with the press of another button on your new colour pronto touch screen remote, have the plasma sink back into the cabinet and then have your electric motorised projector screen come down from the void in the ceiling, the lights dim and then the PJ come to life. "Yeah, guys we're not watching the game on the small screen (50in) tonight......we're watching on the 9ft screen.....!"

You should also check out the American Forums at www.avsforum.com especially their HT room design section. They'll be able to give you more specific info regarding american building regulations, materials and more local places where you can source the materials and gear etc. They have an extensive users HT room picture gallery that might give you ideas and you might even get an invite by someone in your area in Florida to come see their setup.

12. RBT

RBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wife? What wife? :D

If some wench wants me, the HC comes as part of the package - take it or leave it! Muwahahaha >:)

Thanks for the link to the US area - I'm British so I've been lurking on here for a while, but I suppose I'm going to have to get used to the US lot some time seeing as I'm moving out there ;)

Cheers for all the advice so far guys. I'm sure I'll be asking for more inspiration soon :)

Ross.

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering about that.........."Floridian" with a UK ISP.

;)