Question about Currys insurance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by the_watcher87, Aug 21, 2013.

1. the_watcher87

the_watcher87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Wasn't sure where to put this so thought it might be ok here. If not feel free to move mods.

My in-laws bought a washing machine in 2005 and pay the monthly insurance on it, I'm not sure how much it is but since purchase it has broke down a few times and they have fixed it (albeit very slow at doing so).

The machine broke down a fortnight ago today and they are still waiting on them to fix and my father in law called today to ask what the deal was to be told they knew from Monday that they couldn't get the parts for the washing machine.

I might be wrong but when I buy anything from Currys and they offer me the Whatever Happens policy they say if it can't be fixed within a few days they replace. Am I wrong? I don't believe in the insurance anyway and never take them out.

I know the Whatever Happens insurance is reasonably new and seeing as the machine is 8 years old they are probably insured under whatever the previous equivalent of it is.

Can anybody tell me where my inlaws stand with this? Hearing these stories with insurance only makes my faith in them diminish ever more. Cheaper just to pay a repair man in my opinion.

2. the_watcher87

the_watcher87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just found out the policy is called Mastercare.

3. Eric

Eric
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,199
    They should replace it then if it is ongoing plan.

We take it out when we buy something new but cancel it within 48hrs! We buy something and ask for a discount if we take a 3 year plan out, get that price then ask if its bigger if we take 5 years ;) Pay cash for the item, plan over direct debit.. Call & cancel it, discount on item remains :) #Winner :)

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,372
    Please tell me you do have a TV licence :D

:smashin:

5. the_watcher87

the_watcher87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Deffo IronGiant. I believe in insurance just not the type Currys sell lol and this has definitely confirmed it.

I thought they should replace. Can't seem to get anywhere with them. My wife called the company today pretending to be her mum. The company had sent out a repair guy about 10 days ago and said the drum (which is the faulty part) is on back order and they don't know when a replacement will be available. This is after calling on Monday and telling them they would be round to fix later that day but low and behold nobody came.

They then said that they had passed the report to Hoover (manufacturer) and that it "wasn't there problem". Made my wife's blood boil at that, then the girl wouldn't give her Hoover's number and the girl hung up on her.

I've told my inlaws to go instore to Currys and ask them what to do, my reason for this was I was buying some network plugs a while ago and the assistant next to mind was serving a customer who was buying a fridge and they asked did they what the Whatever Happens cover and the customer said no chance after what happened last time. To cut a long story short similar to what is happening at the minute to inlaws and the assistant said that they should have came instore.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,372
    That was aimed at zerpico, not you :) Pleased to hear you have one though :thumbsup:

7. the_watcher87

the_watcher87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Was wondering that after I'd hit reply lol.

8. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309