question about copying music to PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by interquad, Apr 24, 2007.

1. interquad

interquad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a new amp and speakers and want to copy my cd's to the PS3 in the best possible quality to take advantage of the amp/speaker capabilities.

I ripped my cd's to the pc using windows media player using both the normal WMA setting and the WMA (lossless) settings to see which one sounded better and then copied them to the PS3 via a usb hd. However, PS3 will not play the WMA (lossless) files as it says 'unsupported data'. It will however play WAV lossless files.

My question is: the file size for a WMA track is on average 2mb, but for WAV lossless files it is up 22mb yet playing the same track at each file size i can't really hear any difference - is this right? shouldn't a larger file size give better quality?

How do other people copy CDs and using which format?

2. cracker

cracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I just bung the CD in the PS3 and click on copy to disk! :)

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Have you enabled the WMA option in the system settings ?

4. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It all depends on your sound system and hearing. If your hearing isn't great and you're using your TV speakers then I don't think it really matters. No point in buying a Ferrari just to drive to the shops :rotfl: .

I find encoding my CDs at 192kps in MP3 is optimal but if you want to be really picky then set it on your PS3 to encode at 320kps.

As you have bought new amp and speakers, I would try finding the best MP3 encoding bit rate for your ears. Case of suck-it-and-see.

5. interquad

interquad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I 've enabled WMA and also copied cd's direct to the ps3 but doing it this way doesn't give you a choice as to how what format you want to use - unless I've missed something!

6. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You can change the bitrate and format (mp4 or MP3 I think) within the system setup: same place as where you change the resolution IIRC.

7. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am copying a large number of CDs to the Sony, using MP3 at 320 (the "best" setting), but I have a quantity of WMA lossless on DVD data discs (DVD-R ),the product of copying about 1000 CDs to DVD on the computer . Saves shelf space. Can be organised into categories. Useful as back-up...however, the Sony refuses to recognise them (unsupported data, or "no files found"). This is annoying, very annoying. It would appear to be a software matter. The PS3 would make a fine Media Centre.
    How about "streaming" over a wireless network?

8. interquad

interquad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now got all my CDs on PS3 as WAV.Lossless files - had the same problem when I saved them as WMA.lossless - the files have taken up about 35gb. I think the PS3 is an excellent media centre, especially compared to the useless PixelMagic box I had earlier and had to throw away. The only problem now is finding a way to get homemade HD video files that are over over 4gb in size copied (because of the usb file restriction)

9. cracker

cracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I use Red Kawa PS3 Fileserver to transfer big stuff to the PS3 from my PC's

10. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Its not a USB restriction per se, its a file system limitation, though currently the PS3 can only see FAT32 systems because Microsoft hold the IP rights for NTFS, Sony should use one of the ext file formats instead.

11. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, Interquad...but how did you manage it? WAV.lossless is not an option on the PS3, surely. Or did you transfer data from an external HDD? Can WMA lossless be converted to WAV lossless (presumably on a computer) prior to transfer to the PS3? My computer-made DVD data discs are WMA lossless codec.

12. interquad

interquad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I ripped my cds as WAV.lossless using Windows Media Player11 on my PC (it is one the formats available but the file sizes are bigger than WAV Lossless). I then copied on to the PS3 via a USB HD. The PS3 plays them just fine!

I don't know about converting WMA to WAV though.

13. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity can the PS3 also play itunes AAC and AAC protected? Or do you need to convert them first.

14. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Lossless is overkill TBH. Do a few blind listening tests (Google and you should find a tool to help you blind test) and you won't notice the difference. I started archiving my music using FLAC until I realised my new MP3 player wouldn't support it and I couldn't distinguish between FLACs and 256kbps MP3s.

15. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Won't play protected ones.

16. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks psikey. Any potential ways to get round this?

17. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    There may be some software now that can remove DRM (but think thats illegal anyway).

Apart from getting a non-protected version of the song, the only other way I've done it was to burn the song/album to a CD in iTunes then re-rip in an unprotected format. You obviously get a loss of qulaity but I'm happy with mp3's & AAC's at 128kbps anyway.

18. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like an option thanks. Just trying to get my head round whether I should go for the Apple TV or whether when I get a PS3 later in the year it could do the same. Aim is to play itunes/photos in the lounge. I like the sync functionality of Apple TV. I guess with the PS3 there is no sync software yet and therefore copying will have to be done either through wi-fi or hard drive/DVD.

Any advice appreciated!

19. interquad

interquad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, that was the point of my opening post - does a less compressed file size really sound that much better than more compressed file? I couldn't really tell any big difference - I suppose it's just a subconscious thing and I thought as I'd forked out, what for me as an audio novice, is a relatively good amp and speakers, I wanted them to be fed the best quality source (Sony Str 3200ES amp and Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers) but I'd need an expert to tell me whether it makes any difference from a technical point of view.

I can definitely say that listening to movies in surround sound with the new system is an awsome experience.

I'm going to get the Pink Floyd 'Dark side of the Moon' SACD later today and see how that sounds.

20. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Is most of your stuff DRM protected AAC or normal AAC?

I only had about 3 songs that I bought from the iTunes store being DRM AAC with the rest being 128-160 kbps AAC & a few 128kbps-256kbps mp3's.

The PS3 handles mp3's better than AAC due to support for TAG information. I used a piece of software called SyncMyPortable to convert/copy all my tracks from iTunes into Artist Folders in 128kbps MP3's (user definable) then used freeware TAG editor software to ensure all my 2,500 tracks had correct ID tags (for Artist/Album/Genra anyway). Only then did I copy all the tracks to the PS3 which then organises them correctly. MP3 embedded album art also show.

21. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most are just normal AAC so sounds like I'm in the same boat.

Does this mean if I copy AAC tracks straight to the PS3 without going through the process, the PS3 cannot organise then correctly? So much for a multi media hub!

22. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Its a while since I tried any iTunes AAC tracks so not totally sure.

Copy a few of your tracks onto a USB stick (may need to rename the .m4a to .mp4 or .aac).

Then copy from USB to PS3 hard drive. You should find that they don't show under album/artist etc. only song name.

This may have changed since latest firmware update. From my experience, the PS3 (and PSP) use tags to organise music and for some reason don't recognise aac tags (same with my SE P990i phone).
    Just tried a m4a track straight from iTunes & you don't need to rename it to .aac or .mp4 but it doesn't show the artist or album info, just song name.

The freeware tag editting software is called: mp3tag

In the mp3tag software it shows the unaltered iTunes track as an mp4 with Title, Album, Artist, Track No., Genra, Year etc. all correct so its just that the PS3 can't read mp4/aac/m4a Tag data, just mp3 tag data.

23. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help!

24. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Has anyone found the visual effects you can have on your TV when you press the square button on controller during music playback? Looked amazing the other night when I was playing some deep house - I was transfixed! ...but I was rather wrecked :rolleyes:

25. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Also, if I plug in an external hard drive into a USB socket on the PS3, is there any way I can import MP3's from music folders on the drive onto the PS3?

26. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048

Yes, Select USB stick then triangle button to select Show All. Navigate to the folder and select multiple copy.

27. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Does anyone have experience of the Blaze Xploder HD Movie Maker and Media Maker software available from my local GAME store? It claims to convert, on PC, various files/codecs to something that is "recognised" by the PS3...including DIVx video and various audio codecs...can be loaded to the Sony via memory card or USB ? £15.00.

28. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    No, but why bothered when PS3 Video9 (freeware) does it perfectly already. Not found a file it won't convert yet (for video).

The PS3 already recognises mp3; mp4; m4a; aac; atrac; wma; wav for audio anyway.

29. bluesilver

bluesilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

I've tried connecting my Seagate external hardrive (FAT32) to the ps3 but the ps3 doesn't see it at all.
    I've also tried burning mp3's onto cdr-s and trying to put them on the ps3 that way, but it seems to pick which mp3's it wants to see and misses others! And if I burn mp3's to dvd it doesn't see the disc at all!

what am I doing wrong??!!!??!!
    please help before I go insane...:lease:

30. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Join the club, bluesilver! The same happens with me: Lacie 250Gig. usb FAT32 loaded with a variety of music files, incl. MP3, WMA lossless, WAV etc, and nothing comes up on-screen. After connecting the device,try going directly to OPTIONS ( I use a Sony DVD r/c available for the PS3). Perhaps the HDD has to be formated first on the PS3, prior to use.....but that will erase all existing data!
    Perhaps we need a separate thread: PS3 as a Media Centre (or Center ,in American).