Question about calibration

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by iangreasby, Jan 12, 2019.

1. iangreasby

iangreasby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    When changing from a HD or 4K source to HDR or HLG the TV settings for backlight, contrast, brightness and sharpness are automatically changed, together with a change in Gamma setting. In my case (Samsung MU6120) my "normal" settings (under Movie Mode) are as follows:

Backlight 14
    Contrast 94
    Brightness -2
    Sharpness 1

When I change to HDR or HLG then this triggers a change as follows

Backlight 18
    Contrast 95
    Brightness 1
    Sharpness 2

If we lived in an ideal TV world where all sources were HDR or HLG does this mean that the calibration process (apart from setting the colour/tint adjustments) is effectively a waste of time as the user inputs for the main settings, as listed above, would always be overridden?

I should add that watching a HDR or HLG source looks fantastic and I am assuming that the automatic change in settings is normal.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    HLG is an HDR format, not an alternative to HDR.

But yes, calibrating the SDR modes would be a waste of time if you only used the HDR modes.

3. iangreasby

iangreasby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just out of interest, would all of a particular 4K HDR model TV show the same values for backlight/contrast/brightness/sharpness when fed with a HDR signal, or would those settings differ dependant on the individual panel?