Question about Blu ray and surround sound system

dexter2402

Standard Member
I've never posted a thread before so I hope this is right!

Ok I'm looking to get a surround sound system to go with the Panasonic 32" LCD. I want to get a Blu ray player too but cant afford one just yet. If I get a 5.1 Panasonic surround sound system will I be able to connect a blu ray player up to it when I get one?

I'm a bit confused as I've heard that the blu ray needs to be connected via hdmi to the surround system but I've also read that it can be done via an optical digital cable.
I haven't got a clue!

Thanks

MichaelGL

I've never posted a thread before so I hope this is right!

Ok I'm looking to get a surround sound system to go with the Panasonic 32" LCD. I want to get a Blu ray player too but cant afford one just yet. If I get a 5.1 Panasonic surround sound system will I be able to connect a blu ray player up to it when I get one?

I'm a bit confused as I've heard that the blu ray needs to be connected via hdmi to the surround system but I've also read that it can be done via an optical digital cable.
I haven't got a clue!

Thanks

As long as the Panasonic Surround has an optical in and the Blu-ray player has an optical out then you'll be fine

If you want HD sound then you'll need to have it hooked up by HDMI and of course the amp will need to support HD sound

dexter2402

Standard Member
As long as the Panasonic Surround has an optical in and the Blu-ray player has an optical out then you'll be fine

If you want HD sound then you'll need to have it hooked up by HDMI and of course the amp will need to support HD sound

Aah ok thanks. Something tells me an amp supporting HD sound is going to be expensive?????

MichaelGL

Aah ok thanks. Something tells me an amp supporting HD sound is going to be expensive?????

Depends

Some Blu-ray players decode the audio within and then send it to the amp, others will need an amp that can decode Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD

For example

The Playstation 3 decodes HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD) and outputs as LPCM, so any amp supporting LPCM will have HD audio

Amps that do LPCM are generally cheaper than those that do Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. (From what I've seen)

dexter2402

Standard Member
Depends

Some Blu-ray players decode the audio within and then send it to the amp, others will need an amp that can decode Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD

For example

The Playstation 3 decodes HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD) and outputs as LPCM, so any amp supporting LPCM will have HD audio

Amps that do LPCM are generally cheaper than those that do Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. (From what I've seen)

Ha ha I'm really confused now!
Do you know of any good surround sound systems that will do the job?
Cheers

MichaelGL

Ha ha I'm really confused now!
Do you know of any good surround sound systems that will do the job?
Cheers

The Sony HT-SS/F1100/1200/1300/100 are all fairly good

The HT-SS are bookshelf speakers, the HT-SF have stands. The 1200 onwards have support for LPCM so with a compatible Blu-ray player you will get HD sound

They have a pretty compact amp too so it won't take up too much room, just don't expect to be able to upgrade the speakers though

Haizum74

The Sony HT-SS/F1100/1200/1300/100 are all fairly good

The HT-SS are bookshelf speakers, the HT-SF have stands. The 1200 onwards have support for LPCM so with a compatible Blu-ray player you will get HD sound

They have a pretty compact amp too so it won't take up too much room, just don't expect to be able to upgrade the speakers though

Have to agree on those suggested above. That was the route I was going to go down (the 1300 in my case) but in the end went for seperates as I had a bit more money spare at the time (still hurt the wallet mind :))

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom