1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Behringer Feedback Destroyer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dunkyboy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm thinking of getting one of these, and have a question. It has two sets of stereo inputs, correct? One is XLR, the other is called "1/4-inch TRS" - is that just 1/4 inch jack (i.e. headphone jack)? Also, will the BFD switch between these two inputs, or will it just use all the inputs at once?

I ask because I [will soon] have a sub that I use in stereo with my active speakers and a stereo preamp for music (the outputs of the preamp are split to the speakers and the sub). When I want to watch a movie I have to swap the stereo input leads on the sub with the single LFE lead from my processor. I was just kinda hoping that with the BFD, I'd be able to have the stereo outputs from the preamp plugged in at the same time as the LFE out from the AV proc, and then just switch between them in the BFD as appropriate. Will this work? Did any of that make even the slightest glimmer of sense..?

Cheers,

Dunc

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The "1/4-inch TRS" is a mono headphone jack. The easiest way to connect the BFD is to get 1/4" jack to phono adaptors then just use normal connectors. Don't know if you can switch between the 2 inputs or if both are live or what.

One thing you might want to look into to manage your bass better is a Outlaw Bass Management unit. This would come in your signal route after the stereo pre-amp but before the speakers. Around $250 I'm told they are high quality and work in the analogue domain. Never used one but keep thinking about buying one. Take a look at www.outlawaudio.com

Vikki

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm, that looks really useful, but just not quite what I need... For one, I need XLR I/O for much of the system, and for another it doesn't provide switching for two subwoofer inputs. I'm sure a lot of people could find it very handy, though, and I've never seen it mentioned before on these boards (!)

Dunc

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The inputs (and outputs) are just paralleled on the XLR and jack connections, so you can't switch between them.

The jack is the same as a stereo headphone jack, TRS stands for tip - ring - sleeve, but is designed for balanced operation, however you can use a mono jack with unbalanced sources.

Bill