Question about AV amplifier/receiver storage (longterm)

dirkluchtman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Yamaha RX2095/DSP-A2 receiver. It is a fairly old model, but really exceptional in quality. I have been using it for several years off and on. Five years ago, I moved out of the country and left my Yamaha receiver for long term storage. When I get back in 3 years or so, I wish to continue using the receiver again.

To my concern, I heard somewhere that long term storage can degrade the amplifier (certain components due to oxidation and loss of electrons). Does anyone know this? It would be such a waste if I came home and my piece of equipment has degenerated. Any ideas on this?

The receiver has been stored in its own box, wrapped in plastic sheet, in a dark and relatively cool closet.

Thanks,

Dirk

Anything and everything degrades over time. Just as a car would rust, the circuitry within an amplifier oxidises and corrosion does occur.

Its basically a case of if it works then it works. There's no set time scale and your old amp is more likely to still work than not.

I understand that everything wears out over time, but I was advised before that using the amplifier can actually be better for its longevity than leaving it stored and unused.

Any comments on this?

Thanks

I understand that everything wears out over time, but I was advised before that using the amplifier can actually be better for its longevity than leaving it stored and unused.

Any comments on this?

Thanks

Using it can actually cause malleable solder to move when it get warms. There's no one way of prolonging the life of electrical components. Heat and use is as detrimental as time and corrosion/oxidisation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom