Question about Aspect Ratios etc...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyp500, Mar 24, 2006.

1. andyp500

andyp500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im really confused about the whole thing, we have a widescreen tv, and if i set it onto 16:9 then i can stretch regular 16:9 dvds to the whole screen to get rid of the black bars. But with 2:35:1 aspect ratio dvds even when i stretch is i still get black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. Is this normal or just my tv and is there a way to make it fill the whole screen as nearly all dvds i buy these days are 2:35:1 and i find the bars annoying.

2. tattyman

tattyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Fraid that's the way it's supposed to be Andy. Most of today's major "blockbusters" are filmed in 2.35:1 rato which means even on a widescreen( 16:9) tv you'll still get the bars. Some tv's and DVD players let you either stretch or zoom the picture, but by doing this you'll either end up with the image looking too long or with the sides of the image chopped off.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Wish I had £1 for every time this one come up.

Question: If a film's director chooses to make his film (for the cinema) in a shape that is wider than a widescreen TV, how do you then fit it onto a DVD which will be played on a widescreen TV?

Choices:

1: You could cut off the extreme left and right so missing out part of the picture.
    2: You could stretch it vertically to fit, which would make circles oval and people too tall and thin (etc).
    3: You could leave it at the right width and height proprtions as originally made and then pad out the excess height with plain black. This is the ONLY way it can be done without cropping or distorting.

Unsurprisingly, (3) is the way it is done. Something I wholly support. I like seeing all of the film, undistorted.

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Good description re aspect ratios here.

Cheers,

Martin.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    It really annoys me when people go on about 'black bars'. They are not 'bars' ....it is simply that there is nothing there!. In the end,I'm afraid, most people distort the picture because they want to fill the screen. Sad really....

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
  7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    :confused: :boring:
    As long as the TV does a good job of displaying it:smashin:

8. Sunstealer

Sunstealer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great site! :thumbsup:

I used to work in a video store (WH Smith) and I got asked that question at least once a day. In fact once I saw my first widescreen format film on video I was converted. I used to try to convert people in the shop to upgrade their purchase to the widescreen version but only a few bought in to my enthusiasm. The best thing was when the video packaging (as shown in your link) started demonstrating the difference visually.

Problem then became, like the thread starter, when they got a widescreen TV and saw the black bars at the top instead of the sides. I still argue with my parents to this day about this. The feeling that they have spent money on a tv and the film doesn't fit the whole screen. But, a few examples, similar to the link, (my favouriter example being the Die Hard lift sceen when the Sergent first enters the building) at least demonstrates exactly what is being lost - notably what the director intended, tension and important info on the plot of the film.

And, my parents and a few friends along with it seems all UK Pubs love the stretch functionality of these widescreen tv's. So you end up watching a film or football with tall thin people or even worse people that change shape from left to right. Check out the horizontal scrolling credits of some news programs (when you have the picture stretched) to see what I mean. :eek:

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant. If you want to watch the film as intended by the director then leave the TV alone and accept the black bars. I have never found these a problem, nor ever been distracted by them. Focus on the film - its designed to be wide - and you will soon forget the black bars! If nothing else see them as focusing aids - I say this because it does help you zone into teh action but also note that all the new TV's are now coming out with black edging round the screen . Why? - to help you focus in on the picture. You wouldn't complain about that would you?! ;)

9. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    Couldn't agree more. When I watch a 2.35:1 widescreen movie the bands simply disappear after a while because I'm so focused on, well, the actual movie. But for most folk, black bands are the devil! I've encountered people who actually think that the 'zoom' function on their 16:9 TV is specifically for getting rid of the black bands on anamorphic transfers of 2.35:1 movies. The picture then looks anorexic, but there are no borders so that's all right then. :rolleyes: