1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about all sorts of cables...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ParmMann, May 13, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...I'll start from the top.

I now have:
    Pioneer PDP505XDE Plasma Screen with Media Reciever
    Pioneer VSXD814 AV Reciever
    Pioneer DV868AVi DVD Player
    Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus Speakers
    and Sky+

However, having not had stuff like this before, I'm clueless when it comes to wiring.

For audio:
    I've wired up all my speakers, and sub, and connected them to the Amp. I ran the MCACC test thing on my Amp, and it said everything was good. Even the orange light came on, whoo hoo!
    I've now got an optical cable from the DVD player to the Amp, and DVD audio seems fine. I have the option of Optical or Coax, and I have no idea which is better?
    So, that all works, so far.
    I've got two normal pioneer speakers attached on the sides of my plasma, and I use them for normal viewing.
    If I want Sky+ to run through the Amp I just put the optical out from the Sky+ box into the Amp again right? There are two ports for coax in and optical in on the Amp. I only have the one optical cable though, yet.

For video:
    Firstly, whats the best type of cable? Video, S-Video, Component, Scart? One of the latter two I'm sure, but which one?
    Then, do I need to connect the video out from DVD and Sky+ into Amp first, or straight into Media Reciever?
    At the moment, I have Scart from DVD and Scart from Sky+ going into Media Reciever, and although the picture is good, I know it can/will be better.

So, basically, my question is this...
    With all the above components, how should I wire them up? :)

Thanks,
    Parm

2. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Anyone? :lease:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Component is best, but Sky+ doesn't output component, RGB from scart or s-video are the other two possibilities.

You won't notice much difference between co-ax and optical sound.

4. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Nick, I'm gonna head out and pick up a nice Component Cable for the DVD player tomorrow.

Will get a new Scart for the SKY+ box, and will get two new optical cables for the DVD player and the SKY+.

Thanks for the info!

Parm

5. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Caples you should try are Thor component cables form maplins at about 40 odd quid. Or you could look for one of the Mark Grant cables sold on this forum.
    Options for scart should be QED P2110 flat scart and also QED do good optical cables for 20 quid. My preference for the DVD player sound would also be Coaxial and not optical and I believe Mark Grant sells a cracker for 20 quid.

6. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Was your dealer of any use when you bought all this?

If he was you'd know that you wouldn't need component for your dvd player to screen, just an hdmi cable as on the xde, this is the best connection. you'll get an increase in performance over component as analogue sources can sometimes be a weakness for the xde range.

If you're not sure what I mean regarding HDMI, look at both your instruction manuals (dvd player and screen), place hdmi cable betwixt screen and player, set player to send hdmi output, select input 3 on your screen and voila, dvd bliss. :thumbsup:

Oh and if you can afford it (should be able too as you've bought great kit), after approx 200 hours, get the screen ISF calibrated to get max performance.

Purists say coax is superior to optical, but as mentioned earlier there's practically little in it. An optical is easier to route and manipulate.

enjoy your toys :)

7. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I bought all my gear from PeterTyson, and they were very nice to speak too. Good prices, super quick delivery.

About the HDMI cable, I was under the impression that the HDMI connection would only work with a HD source, i.e. HD DVD's. I didn't realise that it would eliminate the need for component cables completely!
    Wonderful news! Thanks deanym!

I've got to ask, what the devil is ISF calibration...?

All these home entertainment magazines are good, but seriously, nothing beats a good forum! Thanks for all the help guys.

8. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    ISF is a set of standards (Piers, Gordon - correct me if I'm wrong) to which screens and source equipment are adjusted to, to exactly replicate what the directors and filmmakers intended us to see.

It costs around £250, for two-three hours of analysing and adjustment by a visual expert.

try these website for info and contacts on how to proceed.

www.homecinemaengineering.com - Piers

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk - Gordon

Best of luck, the guys above are very helpful, Piers is a cracking bloke, and he vouches for Gordon too. :thumbsup:

9. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Is there a particular type of HDMI cable I should be looking for? A particular brand perhaps?

I'm looking for one HMDI cable, 4 good Scart Cables, and 2 Optical Cables.
    Wheres the best place to get all the above? :)

10. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Check out Joe Fernand (the Media Factory), he stocks a wide range of cables, gives good advice and reasonable prices. Also check out the many threads on cables to get a gauge of how much you really need to spend.

I have a bettercables hdmi cable which performed (to my eyes) exactly the same as wireworld unit at twice the price. QED scarts are reliable and cost effective, but if possible demo alternatives to each so you can match your tastes.

11. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm about to order:

DVD to PlasmaTV (Media Box):
    1 x BetterCables Display MagicII HDMI

DVD to AV Receiver:
    BetterCables Silver Serpent Digital Coaxial

SKY+ to to PlasmaTV (Media Box):
    SUPRA AV6 RGB only SCART

SKY+ to AV Receiver:
    VanDamme Toslink Optical

What d'ya reckon? It all comes to about £200.

12. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    £200 on cables :rolleyes: Ok what lengths of cable are you talking about.

13. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, 1m for each, the shortest ones. All the boxes are on an AV rack and the cables don't need to go far at all.

14. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Seriously 1m?? and you can't source that for under £200 :confused:

15. Thalisa

Thalisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but it seems to be the closest to the question I have to ask.

Just bought a LG50PC1R and a Philips HTS9800w. I love them, really. Enough that I wanted to throw out my faithful SCART cable in favor of an HDMI cable. I can see/hear no difference.

Now, if I'm reading part of this thread correctly, can I assume this is because the DVD player, and hence the DVDs, are not a HD source? If so, I will suck it up until I get a HD DVD player. If not, what the heck is wrong that there is no difference? I'm a transplanted American in Europe and, honestly, I'd never even seen a SCART cable until I moved to Europe 2 years ago. I was on an RCA and S-Cable set up back home.

Any help you can offer would be great. The salesmen here (I'm in Holland) seem to have a large language barrier (their English is better than my Dutch, but we're still having problems communicating) and conveniently try to sell me the most expensive thing in stock, so I am trying to do most of my research and what not online.