question about 5.1 and skyHD

oasisnut

Novice Member
hi guys,
iam going to get skyHD but have a question forst...
at the moment i have a dvd 5.1 home cinema system ( amp built-in to dvd player)
now, at the moment i get 5.1 from dvd's and from the tv all 5 speakers output sound, but obviously not 'real' 5.1 split
my question is.... when i get skyHD will the 5.1 still work through my home cinema system?

jamiek

I haven't experienced this myself but I believe, from reading these and other forums, that many all-in-one systems like yours don't have any optical or coaxial digital inputs. If yours does your in luck, otherwise you'll need to spend money to get 5.1!

Starburst

Novice Member
A quick look at the DC-TS760 spec doesn't indicate either a coaxial or optical digital input so there are no means to feed the amp with an external 5.1 source. The best you can do is use the twin phonos for stereo and use a DP mode for surround sound which by itself can be pretty good.

oasisnut

Novice Member
so i cant hook up the dvd player/HC to the sky box via SCART and play the sound through all 5 speakers that way?
not massivley botherd about a proper 5.1 split, just as long as all 5 speakers have sound coming from them.

oasisnut

Novice Member
just reading the thread above this one:rolleyes:
i assume i can connect my skyHD box to the dvd/hc via scart........ and SCART to tv from skyHD to create a loop, thus giving me audio through all 5 speakers
correct?

Starburst

Novice Member
just reading the thread above this one:rolleyes:
i assume i can connect my skyHD box to the dvd/hc via scart........ and SCART to tv from skyHD to create a loop, thus giving me audio through all 5 speakers
correct?

Scart doesn't carry High Def content.
The HC has twin phonos for audio input so you can connect those (assuming you are not using them right now) to the SKY+ HD boxes phono outputs and make use of the HDMI/Component to feed your HD display with HD and SD.
The amp should have a processing mode to take stereo (with or without embedded dolby surround) and create a surround sound effect using the speakers, actual results will be variable and not as good as proper DD5.1 from a DVD movie.

oasisnut

Novice Member
not fussed about true 5.1 for now...
i just want sound to come from all 5 speakers, can this be done from the dvd/hc that i have if i connect it to the sky HD box?
cheers

Cheekster

Once you've heard Dolby Digital 5.1 from Sky HD compared to Dolby Surround (4.0), trust me you'll settle for nothing else.

The atmosphere when watching last nights Wigan v Arsenal match was the next best thing to being there, could constantly hear individuals clapping in the crowd behind!).

:D

Cheekster.

Starburst

Novice Member
not fussed about true 5.1 for now...
i just want sound to come from all 5 speakers, can this be done from the dvd/hc that i have if i connect it to the sky HD box?
cheers

Yes although with limited success.
When you are watching a DVD then it's highly likely you are hearing Dolby Digital 5.1 using your current setup, SKY offers the same audio format but you can not access that using the HC system.
To hear the difference check the audio options on a DVD, you may get a plain stereo soundtrack and then you can try any DSP modes the HD system has, the results will then be similar to what you will get from SKY supplying analogue stereo and the HC system creating a surround field from that source.

There is a fundemental difference between 5.1 channels of independent audio using Dolby Digital (DVD and SKY) and a stereo soundtrack providing simulated 5.1 audio and after proper 5.1 the fake surround sound will never quite satisfy:)