Quest2+link never be as good?

Allante666

Novice Member
Hi. Other than the Quests better display, as far as speed, lag, FPS etc goes, the quest 2 with oculus link cable will never be quite as good as the rift S. when running driving sims

Or convince me otherwise.

I use rift s to run project cars. I find the quest on link falls short in the lag/frame rate dept compared to the rift.
beatsabre? Absolutely fine, but the more processor hungry games just aren’t up to it.

if you disagree let me know if you think I’m missing something . If they were both as good I would sell the rift (although it’s way more comfortable than the quest) but I don’t think they are or ever will be?

huxley

Think you've answered your own question TBH. If you want to take the next step for games like project cars etc an HP reverb or Index might be the way to go.

Allante666

Novice Member
Yeah. It was just really to justify keeping both the quest and the rift. I do like the quest for untethered stuff it’s just a pity the rift is behind with the display quality. it’s older I know.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Hi. Other than the Quests better display, as far as speed, lag, FPS etc goes, the quest 2 with oculus link cable will never be quite as good as the rift S. when running driving sims

Or convince me otherwise.

I use rift s to run project cars. I find the quest on link falls short in the lag/frame rate dept compared to the rift.
beatsabre? Absolutely fine, but the more processor hungry games just aren’t up to it.

if you disagree let me know if you think I’m missing something . If they were both as good I would sell the rift (although it’s way more comfortable than the quest) but I don’t think they are or ever will be?
Probably won't be quite as good as the rift s as standalone..... BUT it is still pretty damn amazing esp for the price and also supports fully untethered mobile VR and wireless PCVR too. I think the quest 2 is pretty amazing to be honest.... Even tho mine is mostly gathering dust right now. (V limited time so what I do get I use my reverb G2)

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I use my quest 2 for iracing in VR using the official link cable, and i think it's easily a step up from the rift s I had before it in terms of clarity, I have no issues with lag either.
I bought the elite strap for the quest 2 as the original one is rubbish. And it's now as comfortable as the rift s was. My brother also upgraded to a quest 2 from a rift cv1 and couldn't believe the difference in clarity.
PC is a ryzen 7 5800x cpu, with a Rtx3070 gpu

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Probably won't be quite as good as the rift s as standalone..... BUT it is still pretty damn amazing esp for the price and also supports fully untethered mobile VR and wireless PCVR too. I think the quest 2 is pretty amazing to be honest.... Even tho mine is mostly gathering dust right now. (V limited time so what I do get I use my reverb G2)

How did the G2 workout? Mindblowing?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I am really happy with it after modding. Using the stock faceplate.for my face the FOV was too small. The image quality is superb and the sound is great (albeit no better than CV1 imo as that was pretty great too). Really comfy as well.

Cable is a bit heavy is about my only minor niggle with the HMD and I do miss Oculus touch but to be fair the G2 ones are ok and VR for me is 90% about the cockpit.

Allante666

Novice Member
Don’t get me wrong I’m not dissing the quest in any way I think it’s great. In fact if I had only ever played Project cars on it I wouldn’t even notice. It’s only when I drive the same track on one and then the other I notice how much smoother the rift is. Obvs the graphics aren’t as good but one thing offsets the other.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Don’t get me wrong I’m not dissing the quest in any way I think it’s great. In fact if I had only ever played Project cars on it I wouldn’t even notice. It’s only when I drive the same track on one and then the other I notice how much smoother the rift is. Obvs the graphics aren’t as good but one thing offsets the other.
As long as your software is on their expanding supported list of games, Virtual Desktop works wirelessly and for the most part works better than Oculus Link.

KingD

I had previously a Rift S and sold it when the Link feature was updated for Quest 2, for me it replaces it perfectly, I don't play sim games though, but I am sensitive to lag etc and cant fault it. I can play Beatsaber on Expert with no issues which I reckon is probably faster than most racing games.

huxley

Its come on leaps and bounds in the relatively short time its been a feature.
Give it another year and it will be on par with normal tethered systems by which time wireless will have caught up.

vornstar

Have you tried other games? I found PC2 to be a bit disappointing in VR. AMS2 however is stunning, and that's based on PC2. Assetto Corsa with the SOL mod also runs a lot better than PC2. I bought rFactor 2 yesterday and that runs great. No lag in any of the games mentioned for me. I did have a few issues at the start but after reinstalling my GPU driver it was silky smooth.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom