Quest 2 on the horizon?

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Aah, that makes sense! Thought it was a bit odd that it was free:facepalm:

I’ve bought the other two episodes now and they also show as free for Rift, where they didn’t before, so that’s obviously what it was.
Haha. But actually, that leads to a tip that everyone should know. Before purchasing games on quest store, might be best to check the rift store first, as sometimes games can cost less on rift than on quest whilst still being cross-play.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Just been playing Thrill of the Fight (quite the workout!) and got a warning pop up about the cooling not working and the device may overheat. Is that normal? Anything to be worried about?

I clicked ok and it went away and didn’t come back, so assuming it’s nothing too much of an issue.

Nice to see there was a Beat Sabre demo, everyone says it’s great, always wanted to try it on PSVR, but wasn’t sure if I’d like it and didn’t want to spend Twenty odd quid in case I didn’t. Never could understand why there wasn’t a demo.

Played the demo track about 15 times over the last three days, so I’m pretty sure I will like it now:)

Besides, there’s always the Oculus refund policy to fall back on if I don’t.

After three days I’m very impressed, no regrets buying.

Visual quality seems better than PSVR, comfort is probably not quite as good and it’s certainly harder to get on and off as a glasses wearer.

Didn’t realise how much of a bonus being wireless is until i tried it.

Noticed last night as I was playing Vader with the cable plugged in to keep the battery a little bit topped up and found the cable wrapped around my legs:laugh:

Already found loads of games I want to play and that’s just on the Quest, without even dipping into Rift and Steam VR stuff. Don’t want to end up with a Quest pile of shame like I have on the PSVR but I suppose that’s inevitable:laugh:

Half Life Alyx is definitely on my list, does it ever come up in Steam sales or should I just bite the bullet and pay full price?

Quite fancy SW Squadrons too, now I don’t have to worry about having to pay for multiplayer, but I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on it.

Star Wars Squadrons is worth every penny, and you can get it for £24.25 here:

If you don't get it from that offer above. which is the Origin version, because you're in the US (not sure if you can or not if you're not in the UK) then I highly recommend you get the Origin version rather than the Steam version because the Origin version runs better on Oculus headsets due to taking SteamVR out of the equation. I still don't know why NOBODY gives Valve anywhere near enough grief for hamstringing Oculus headsets on Steam, I'm sure they do it on purpose.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Any idea why sometimes when I load Elite Dangerous my HOTAS works and others it doesn’t?

I’m sure it’s something simple, I know it does work, I’m just sure what I did when it did work!

Should I load direct from Steam or via the Elite shortcut on my desktop via virtual desktop, or should I go through the Rift menu and do it that way?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
So I tried connecting the Quest 2 headphone out to the bluetooth transmitter I bought.

I then paired it with my amp via bluetooth.

It connected and played the Quest 2 audio... but there is always a 2 second delay.

Tried to adjust the lip-sync manually on my amp but there's not enough adjustment to compensate.

I suppose I could hook up a separate BT receiver on my amp and hook it up that way. But I've already got a BT transmitter hooked up to it that takes sound from the headphone out and transmits it. Don't want to have another.

Not really sure how else it can be done?

I guess a 3.5mm to phono cable would do it but can't be bothered with that.

EDIT: I also tried it with a bluetooth speaker. Same delay.

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
So I tried connecting the Quest 2 headphone out to the bluetooth transmitter I bought.

I then paired it with my amp via bluetooth.

It connected and played the Quest 2 audio... but there is always a 2 second delay.

Tried to adjust the lip-sync manually on my amp but there's not enough adjustment to compensate.

I suppose I could hook up a separate BT receiver on my amp and hook it up that way. But I've already got a BT transmitter hooked up to it that takes sound from the headphone out and transmits it. Don't want to have another.

Not really sure how else it can be done?

I guess a 3.5mm to phono cable would do it but can't be bothered with that.

EDIT: I also tried it with a bluetooth speaker. Same delay.
That's a shame, I would have wanted to do the same as I enjoy using my amp when using my PSVR and far prefer it to use headphones. Oh well, thanks for sharing your attempts.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Had my first head wibble today with the Roller Coaster on speed challenge :D

Been playing other games for a while without issue and spent a while doing a 3D puzzle and then the Coaster got me.

Tried twice and second time wasn't too bad :)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Tried Pavlov earlier, only did the tutorial, took me a few goes to get the hang of the grenades, the shooting range seems pretty good, then did the kill house.

Tried an online game but there was only me and one other guy in the game, so he was pretty much trying to show me the ropes.

Graphics generally aren’t the greatest, but the weapons look great, reminded me a little bit of Blood and Truth on the PSVR, but with worse graphics.

Looks like it could be good if you get in a full match.

Atmos

I was talking my mate tonight in VRchat and he was saying the FoV on the Quest2 is smaller than the Quest. I was surprised.

Last edited:

css_jay99

I was talking my mate tonight in VRchat and he was saying the FoV on the Quest2 is smaller than the Quest. I was suprised.
I think I have to agree with him. Someone else earlier in the thread mentioned the binocular view which I also agree with.

I am a bit disappointed with the Q2. It’s a win for FB though. It feels cheaply made like the gear, certainly not on par in quality compared to Q1. The foam around the facia certainly won’t last long. I also have to turn my head more for focus compared to the Q1 and Rift S.

MikeKay1976

... So I had to buy another Q2 from Argos this evening since the amazon one that was showing as delivered yesterday has not turned up. I spent the last 30 min on the phone being passed around till they eventually processed a refund.

Just a guess, I have a feeling their driver might have pulled a fast one. No neighbour has come knocking on my door for a parcel I should have picked up from them yesterday.

While picking it up from Argos, I was little bit disappointed because the box looks so small compared to the Q1.

Before I dive straight in, I also have a Rift S which is still using my normal Oculus account for log-in. My understanding is that the Q2 uses Facebook which I am assuming means The Rift S also needs to be setup/converted to a Facebook log-in. Was I meant to have received an email to allow the transition?
So all my Amazon deliveries I get a photo with the door of the package where it was delivered if I am not there to sign for it. Did you not get that

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I think I have to agree with him. Someone else earlier in the thread mentioned the binocular view which I also agree with

I am a bit disappointed with the Q2. It’s a win for FB though. It feels cheaply made like the gear, certainly not on par in quality compared to Q1. The foam around the facia certainly won’t last long. I also have to turn my head more for focus compared to the Q1 and Rift S.
I too have been shocked by the binocular effect and considerable FOV reduction which I commented a few days ago and why I had a sense of deja vu in regressing back to the old days of smartphone vr headsets.

And here is why, great explanation and practical measurements by this youtuber...and alas no doubt very disappointing especially for those coming from Quest 1. I mean we are talking up to 18 deg reduction depending on your IPD!

Last edited:

huxley

I wish Palmer would establish another VR company. I miss him. ;)
Yes he is a character for sure. Facebook would of gotten rid of him regardless of his politics and views. Mainly because they are ****s. As much as I would like to see the Quest 2 jailbroken, you are going to be limited to sideloading and pirated content as you can only buy software via the Oculus store etc.
I`m taking one of the units offered from work and keeping it sealed.
I`m not willing to be defiled by Zuckerboy and his army of privacy rapists, its a waiting game for me.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Has anyone had problems pairing an Xbox controller? Can’t get it to work in Q2 at all - just doesn’t want to connect.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett