Quest 2 must have accessories?

dave798

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I will pretty soon be tasting the delights of VR using an Oculus Quest 2 and just wondered if any of you kind users can point me towards any must have accessories to make my enjoyment more fun, I have read reviews on the face coverings etc and am interested how any of you get around the poor battery usage, will also be looking for some kind of stand to rest the headset and controllers if anybody has a link, am a wearer of glasses and am worried I might need some kind of accessory in addition to the specs spacer that comes with the device, can you kind people tell me what was the first accessory you bought for your Quest 2's and whether or not it has helped in your usage of the device. TIA
Dave

Head strap. The standard one is rubbish. I have 2, the halo (which couldn't get to fit) and this, which is far superior than the standard one.
Amazon product ASIN B08LYKJ1PS
I've just purchased a silicone mask as VR exercises can be sweaty and it should be easier to clean. I've found my glasses don't get stuck either.

Amazon product ASIN B08LZGD318
You can get lens inserted as well. I'll be using this company. They are UK based and a similar price for my prescription as the aliexpress offering

Definitely a replacement head strap - the supplied one is TOO fiddly and difficult to get comfort fit, as well as being awkward if switching to different people. I've bought a cheap(ish) one off Amazon (£36) that has a tightening knob at the back.

Amazon product ASIN B08PG418MM
I needed a Chromecast so I could see what the user was seeing on my TV when playing etc.

I also needed to buy a pair of low-latency Bluetooth transmitter/receivers so the audio can be played through my sound system

Amazon product ASIN B08H7X718F
A silicon face mask cover to stop the original getting sweaty

And a small battery pack if I want an extended session....

Amazon product ASIN B081N4TTYB

Just a side note...

The Chromecast plays audio but the lag is AWFUL, it's about a second behind the video, that's why I bought the LL BT solution, which has virtually no perceptible lag.

I had a slight problem with the head-strap. My son removed it incorrectly (didn't lift it off from the back first) and caused the arms to pop the clips off.

They didn't break but it weakened the grip of the clips and the arms kept threatening to pop-off.

I solved this by drilling through the clips with 5mm hole and secured them using a small nut and bolt (one in each arm). This hole is NOT through the Oculus arm, just both parts of the head strap clip fitting.
DSC09699.jpg
DSC09701.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the pointers guys it really is much appreciated, I have made a list from Amazon if somebody can take a look and give me their opinion I would be grateful as you guys definitely have a lot more knowledge than me on this subject.
vr  accessories.JPG

Are you sure you need the Chromecast? I'm not sure but some TV's may have a suitable app built in - my LG TV doesn't, just some rubbish LG app that I couldn't get working. You only need this if you want to watch what others are seeing in the headset (or you want to show off to your mates how good you are(!) at Beat Saber) :D

Don't forget - the Chromecast audio lag is a problem (they may fix it in a future FW update hopefully).

All your items look good, have fun!

Having wore the silicone mask last night it is far better with me wearing glasses. They don't get stuck on the face cover now

I would say a Link cable is the most essential accessory, the stock strap for me (I know I'm in the minority) was fine, but worth upgrading.
likewise, the stock battery lasts me for hours, I cant ever imagine having that much free time or wanting it stuck to my face burning my retinas for anylonger 🤣

I would say a Link cable
Forgot about that. Wouldn't bother with the oculus one. Plenty of others available for around £15 (I bought a USB-C to USB-C one)

Have been waiting ages for the VR cover replacement mask to come into stock but taking forever, the silicone ones look ok but just go over the foam piece rather than replace it?

Not sure if worth the extra time and money for the proper mask replacement.

I have set mine up just using a standard USB C cable.

I run my headset wirelessly to my PC using the virtual desktop app (£15) with the sidequest mod. So far, the games I have run work fine - even HL Alyx

Linked to my Steam account, I can play stuff wirelessly, no need for a cable.

Would a link cable offer any advantages (apart from tethering me to the PC)?

I run my headset wirelessly to my PC using the virtual desktop app (£15) with the sidequest mod. So far, the games I have run work fine - even HL Alyx

Depends how long you plan to use it. More than a couple of hours and it will need charging so a cable can be beneficial.

I run a 6900xt in my rig which has a usb-c port which cable will I need in order to use quest 2 with msfs 2020? Will I need usb-c - usb-c direct to gfx card or normal usb-c to usb? Direct to pc USB port?

well, personally for me I think linked is a better quality image and more consistant stable connection (my wifi can be a little flakey) but there are games that dont work on Virtual Desktop that do work through Link.

Definitely an new head strap. The amazon one is just fine, I also went with AMVR leather face cover and AMVR controller straps. They are both very comfortable and work well. Most tvs and firesticks can cast the oculus so the chrome cast is a necessity.

Why do you have to buy so much extra stuff, is it that crap out of the box?
It seems like a pile of E waste waiting to happen.

No, it's good, apart from the awkward head strap. I was used to the Halo head gear of the PSVR and needed to replicate it for comfort and switching players.

If you want others to see what you are playing (or see what others are playing on your headset), you need to be able to cast to a TV. Casting is built in but if you don't have a suitable app on the playback device (like me), you need a Chromecast.

Other "accessories" are just to enhance the device - it works fine out of the box.

Why do you have to buy so much extra stuff, is it that crap out of the box?
It seems like a pile of E waste waiting to happen.
To keep the RRP down.
So a better head strap would be additional £30, link cable £30 and not everybody would need them.
If you included them they to could be waste depending on the user

The headstrap is clearly substandard as most people seem to be replacing it.
Waste annoys me, factor in the extra packing etc.

when some of you are using Quest 2 playing MSFS 2020 specifically do you link directly to the pc motherboard or the gpu? as this will be my main reason for buying the quest 2 albeit I also intend on buying table tennis, fishing and a golf sim.
I already have a wanted Advert for a quest 2 and missed the bus (again) last week when 2 brand new 256gb models went for £300 so with luck I will be picking my 64gb model up tomorrow or Thursday but want to make sure I am not left needing something in order to use it when flying in msfs

when some of you are using Quest 2 playing MSFS 2020 specifically do you link directly to the pc motherboard or the gpu? as this will be my main reason for buying the quest 2 albeit I also intend on buying table tennis, fishing and a golf sim.
I already have a wanted Advert for a quest 2 and missed the bus (again) last week when 2 brand new 256gb models went for £300 so with luck I will be picking my 64gb model up tomorrow or Thursday but want to make sure I am not left needing something in order to use it when flying in msfs
I use my motherboard.
I think the idea of USB C on the GPU was originally for VR but this seems to have died a death.
Will the Oculus app even output to the headset if it is plugged into the GPU?

I think the USBC GPU thing died as it couldn't support the bandwidth and power requirements. Valve had a cable for preorder that got pulled before release.

just picked up my new quest 2 (64gb) £270 from Argos (family member discount) all's I can say is WOW, thanks to you all for your advice etc, Amazon should be dropping my extra's later, why didn't I get into this sooner???. cheers guys hopefully make this furlough mullarkey much easier

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom