Quest 2 Discussion

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting if true

I doubt it will be a Quest 2. More like a Quest 1.5 or Quest+ a more refined unit cheaper to manufacture.

But in another way I want this to be a Quest 2/Pro with 2k per eye like Reverb G2 so Valve will be forced to release a high res Index next year.

I think this will be closer to the mark tbh.
I guess that depends if it replaces quest 1 or is sold alongside side it (possibly at the expense of the rift S)

This could go 3 or 4 different ways.

1. The new quest is a high end Quest2 - but I doubt Oculus want to slpit their user base so soon.
2. The new Quest is an ironed out Quest+ - most likely imo.
3. The new Quest is a replacement for the Quest and flagging RiftS - this is a stong possibility. We know Oculus are working on a new store and OpenXR is closing in. This would give Oculus the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and go all in on Standalones with the hybid ability for current Rifters to continue to use their Oculus Library. It's a 'we dumped PCVR but we didn't dump PCVR' scenario.

Now option 3 is very strong contender behind option 2 imo. RiftS is going to get hammered after Reverb G2 ships and Index will come down in price. Steam is now superior to Oculus home and every RiftS sold just bolstered Steam sales. Valve will never give up on VR now they have their own HMD and OpenXR will render HMD exclusivity moot.

Conclusion. Oculus stands a better chance of survival building an Eco system externally from PCVR the same way consoles do. This is why we'll see a Steam Standalone one day. Maybe Samsung are working on it already???

I don't disagree on on most of the above except you make option 3 sound like a bad thing for how oculus are treating PCVR where as I think it would be pretty cool.
Option 4 would be cooler still. Oculus announce going forward all games will support open XR and Devs are encouraged to patch existing titles too with all headsets supported... Bit this may be wishful thinking on my part.

Stick a decent mounting system, 2 decent screens and a display port on a new quest and I would be all over it (if I didn't have a G2) - I would even cancel my G2 for it.

It'll be the Quest S, probably manufactured by Lenovo or another third party. I've been expecting it but it's a lot earlier than I thought.

Might even coincide with a price cut for both headsets too.

Option 4 would be cooler still. Oculus announce going forward all games will support open XR and Devs are encouraged to patch existing titles too with all headsets supported... Bit this may be wishful thinking on my part.

This would be the opposite to what I think Oculus would do. They won't invest millions in PCVR exclusives if any headset can play they. They need people to invest in the Oculus Eco system and OpenXR is going to sink that idea. Standalones keep that Eco system tightly locked down.

I reckon OC7 will be in September before the Reverb G2 goes on sale on the 15thish.

It'll be the Quest S, probably manufactured by Lenovo or another third party. I've been expecting it but it's a lot earlier than I thought.

Might even coincide with a price cut for both headsets too.

Lenovo won't touch this. They have their own standalone to work on.

This would be the opposite to what I think Oculus would do. They won't invest millions in PCVR exclusives if any headset can play they. They need people to invest in the Oculus Eco system and OpenXR is going to sink that idea. Standalones keep that Eco system tightly locked down.

I reckon OC7 will be in September before the Reverb G2 goes on sale on the 15thish.

Those titles will still be exclusives to the Oculus eco system. But with open xr integrated they'll be able to sell those exclusives to more people. Not a bad thing.

Not for Oculus anyway.

Why on earth wouldn't Oculus want more native headset owners to sell their games to?

Oculus have wanted this from day one but Valve have stopped this from being possible.

OpenXR would mean that those headsets would have native support, so no need for a performance-dropping translation layer.

Lenovo won't touch this. They have their own standalone to work on.

That headset isn't for home use, it's a 3DOF headset to be used in education.

The only other standalone headset they have is the Daydream Mirage Solo which these days is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Why on earth wouldn't Oculus want more native headset owners to sell their games to?

You mean Facebook just want to outsource their hardware and then just become a VR game store? I don't think so. They want that 1 billion users remember?

1594847315686.png

That headset isn't for home use, it's a 3DOF headset to be used in education.

The only other standalone headset they have is the Daydream Mirage Solo which these days is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

So if Lenovo was making Quest 2 why not make that for education too? Why make two (one being a chocolate teacup) if you can make one? Doesn't make sense.

Oculus have wanted this from day one but Valve have stopped this from being possible.

Same old arguement. The truth is in the eating. Valve support everyone today. Oculus promise to support everyone tomorrow. I don't care either way.

You mean Facebook just want to outsource their hardware and then just become a VR game store? I don't think so. They want that 1 billion users remember?

View attachment 1335140

They'll still be producing headsets. Just getting third parties to manufacture them, and it could be that they're doing this for ALL of their headsets going forward.

They've done this for the Go and Rift S, so why not the Quest S, the Rift 2 and the Quest 2 as well..? I suspect this is the work of Hans Hartmann as I alluded to in another thread. Probably makes more sense in terms of logistics to outsource this stuff to a third party, particularly when you can licence the Halo head strap as part of the deal.

So if Lenovo was making Quest 2 why not make that for education too? Why make two (one being a chocolate teacup) if you can make one? Doesn't make sense.

Because Oculus own the Quest IP, they obviously didn't want to enter that market.

Lenovo own the IP of their own headset so they can do what they want with the thing. They've stopped making the Mirage Solo now that Daydream is dead and buried so they'll be making two headsets - the Quest S and their own headset for use in schools.

I'm surprised that Oculus didn't take advantage of that market because it's HUGE, although perhaps they've opted not to do so because kids will tell their parents not to buy a headset for home from the same manufacturer because they make cheap headsets for school, so there may be kids putting their parents off buying one for home.

They'll still be producing headsets. Just getting third parties to manufacture them, and it could be that they're doing this for ALL of their headsets going forward.

They've done this for the Go and Rift S, so why not the Quest S, the Rift 2 and the Quest 2 as well..? I suspect this is the work of Hans Hartmann as I alluded to in another thread. Probably makes more sense in terms of logistics to outsource this stuff to a third party, particularly when you can licence the Halo head strap as part of the deal.

Because they got royaly out manoeuvred by Valve. They didn't expect Valve to be so quick to get HTC onboard with VR controllers at launch. Once Vive took the lead Facebook lost interest in PCVR and focused on standalones where they could controle their own destiny. They threw Lenovo a bone and they thought they were getting a massive boost manufacturing all oculus PCVR headsets only to be stabbed in the back when the Quest got PC support.

Valve have done the reverse and now controle their own destiny with Index. They also partner with others to fill the overlap. Quest and RiftS overlap far too much and if QuestS is an even better specced headset than RiftS where does that leave Lenovo?

But time will tell.

Lets remeber Oculus are making another VR headset the the AR one.

So option 4. There is no QuestS/+/1.5 Its just the AR thing.

The other point I want to make is look at the speed of this announcement (if true) must mean Oculus have been rattled into action. The gap between OC7 and the availability of the actual headset is zero. They are manufacturing before they've announced it! That's a rush job if ever i saw one. Which make me believe this is not going to be a major VR announcement just 12 months after RiftS and Quest launches.

You seem to be missing a few parts of your VR history.

1) HTC and Valve design and release the HTC Vive with poor quality motion controllers.

2) Oculus out manoeuvre HTC by releasing superior motion controllers plus bucketloads of free software. And the Vive is no longer outselling the Rift.

3) Following 2) and a price cut to £599 Oculus out manoeuvre HTC again and sales increase even further.

4) Once Oculus had a sales lead they then decide to enter the standalone market with the Oculus Go, which sells a shitload in hardware (which they've broken even on) and software (which they make 30% on).

5) They then release the Quest, a 6DOF standalone headset, and the Rift S, a PC VR headset that they were probably making ~£100 profit on each headset sold. Both sell a shitload in terms of hardware and software. The Rift line of products was then and still is now the most successful line of VR headsets in existence.

6) Valve release the Index headset, out manoeuvring Oculus in terms of finger tracking, but so far there hasn't been a single developer doing anything with those extra fingers being tracked apart from obligatory finger waggling. Valve are the only ones that do anything decent with tracking those extra fingers.

7) Oculus release Oculus Link which increases the amount of customers in the Oculus Store, bringing even more potential customers into the Rift's Oculus Store.

8) For at least the last 6 months Oculus would have made a profit on each Quest sold and even MORE profit on each Rift S sold, leaving both headsets open for a price cut, which we will probably be seen announced at OC7. Assuming that this info on the Quest is bollocks. If the info on the Quest S turns out to be true it'll give people the option of a superior headset to buy at the same price the Quest is right now, making a small profit on each headset sold. Either way you're going to see Oculus making a profit on hardware and more customers in both of their Stores.

Things are looking pretty good for Oculus from where I'm sitting. 😎😁😎

Lets remeber Oculus are making another VR headset the the AR one.

So option 4. There is no QuestS/+/1.5 Its just the AR thing.

It'll be YEARS before Oculus bring an AR headset to market, the technology is nowhere near ready, it's not good enough and not cheap enough.

1) HTC and Valve design and release the HTC Vive with poor quality motion controllers.

That is not history thats just your opinion while you were playing Vr on your controller while I had my hands in VR.

Last edited:

2) Oculus out manoeuvre HTC by releasing superior motion controllers plus bucketloads of free software. And the Vive is no longer outselling the Rift.

8 months later Touch came to market. I had 8 months of hands in VR while you had 8 months of twiddling your MS controller getting frustrated. lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom