Quest 2 can run steam vr games? better than reverb ???

Marcus78

Novice Member
hi,
i'm actually playing Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa with ultra detail graphic and they are so cool with hp rever with 2160x2160 pixel per eyes..
so if i understood right with quest 2 with the sooo cheap 100€ cable i can do the same ? connect to pc and use steam vr games and all ?
i'm so suspicious about the resolution, look cheap price and in the same time in the website there's pre order but not so many specific, for the resolution is written 50% more then quest.. so why i must calculate? bahhh..
so questo is 1600x1440 so mean that quest2 (+50%) is 2400x2160? more than hp ? will be so cool ! but so cheap.. mm i've some doubts..
what d'u think ?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
No, it uses compression via USB which will not give the same quality image as a native PCVR headset.

I'll keep this short, the Quest 2 is going to be no where near the HP Reverb G2's graphics, even with the expensive Oculus Link cable.

The Reverb for PC is superior in every single way, given a lot of Oculus software magic is offset by having to use and decode via the Oculus Link.

Marcus78

Novice Member
No, it uses compression via USB which will not give the same quality image as a native PCVR headset.

I'll keep this short, the Quest 2 is going to be no where near the HP Reverb G2's graphics, even with the expensive Oculus Link cable.

The Reverb for PC is superior in every single way, given a lot of Oculus software magic is offset by having to use and decode via the Oculus Link.
ha ok.. good answer..
what d'u think about reverb 1 and 2? look the same.. same resolution that is the most important

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
G2

thesnowdog

We'll have to wait and see what that Tyriel guy does with his through the lens videos. It's not going to be as good but the extra power in the XR2 compared to the 835 should mitigate some of the artifacts I would have thought.

The G2 will of course look better, but it's more than twice the price of the Quest 2 and you tend to get what you pay for.

Going to be interesting to see how close it is though.

D

Deleted member 105093

We'll have to wait and see what that Tyriel guy does with his through the lens videos. It's not going to be as good but the extra power in the XR2 compared to the 835 should mitigate some of the artifacts I would have thought.

The G2 will of course look better, but it's more than twice the price of the Quest 2 and you tend to get what you pay for.

Going to be interesting to see how close it is though.

It would be better to wait for trusted reviews, I have no doubt Tyriel is under some sort of agreement with Facebook on what he says In reviews etc.

thesnowdog

It would be better to wait for trusted reviews, I have no doubt Tyriel is under some sort of agreement with Facebook on what he says In reviews etc.

Perhaps, but his through the lens videos are the best out there. Doesn't matter what he says if visual evidence is there.

D

Deleted member 105093

Perhaps, but his through the lens videos are the best out there. Doesn't matter what he says if visual evidence is there.

With a pinch of salt I guess, through the lens videos aren't very scientific.

ArmitageShanks

Still give you a general idea though.
I think his videos give a good indication of pixel structure and resolution, but I wouldn't trust the colour grading - that's really dependent on what his camera is doing with white balance and exposure.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't trust the through the lens videos for more than just a very general guide for how they look./

We don't need a though the lens video to know that the Q2's image quality via Oculus Link will be far superior to the G2.

There is simply a limit and the cost of the processing power to encode and send over the video stream is a cost within itself. That cost of processing on the Q2 can go towarsd the G2 with super sampling, better framerates, frametimes etc. This is ignoring the bad handling of dark scenes, bad scaling, compression artifacts etc.

People are grasping at straws by trying to even insinuate the Q2 is close to the G2 from a visual fidelity perspective.

I also think its a redundant argument and unfair to the Q2. The Q2 is a portable VR headset with the bonus of being able to be hooked up to a PC. Its going to be on very dodgey ground against a more expensive headset, with native PCVR usage AND its also more expensive.

The Q2 is what it is, and thats a really good deal for someone whos first priority is portable VR experiences without a PC or tether a secondary usage of hooking it up to the PC occasionally.

I have no doubt in isolation, the Q2 will be fine for most people for PCVR. Its just 'fine' is difficult to justify when we have a limited library of PCVR games and a lot of us want to get the best possible experience from them from a visual and audio fidelity perspective.

If your main usage is PCVR only, then obviously get a dedicated PCVR headset which takes full advantage of your GPU.

Its really simple and waiting for through the lens videos, rather than just accepting technological limitations and compromises is silly.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
One thing I am interested in is the colours of the Q2. The Rift S colours are the worst colours of a VR headset of all time. Its worse than CV1, VIve, Quest, Index and substantially worse. I hope they've improved the colours of their LCD panels so it looks more like looking into a world rather than a cheap LCD screen.

if they've upgraded that, its already looking good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom