Quest 1 to G2 or wait ?

darren68uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ive had my quest for about a year or more,ive been really happy with it, but recently updated my pc, currently running RX6800XT and Ryzen 5950x
and been playing MSFS2020, on a realism side of things vs pancake mode, its def a game changer certainly in the cockpit, but have seen some videos lately of the G2 in msfs and im ready to cry, seeing similar graphics to what i get playing in pancake is making me realise i need to upgrade,

I might have tried the quest 2 but due to the ipd issue its not worth the gamble as im literary 68-69 so right on the edge,

i see the G2 is currently in stock, is it worth the upgrade, or am i better waiting to see what’s coming out this year, what with quest 3/4 possibly due as well as what valve have to offer !

I’ve just bought a G2, pretty much solely for MSFS. Hopefully, I’ll get it up and running Mon/Tue. Also coming from a Quest 2. I’ll report back with my findings. Mind you, there is nothing stopping you from ordering one, while they are in stock. If it’s not what you were expecting, you won’t exactly lose much by floating it off onto ebay.

G2 has lousy tracking by all accounts.
Plus, tethered vr is clunky and dated.
It doesn't at all. The headset tracking is fine if you set it up correctly. The controller tracking is not quite as good as the quest but anyone telling you it is lousy are either inept at setting it up or are talking nonsense.

If lighthouse /3 camera constellation tracking is a 10
And Oculus insight is an 8.5
Then the reverb G2 is a 7.5 imo (just controller, the headset is flawless)

As to whether it is worth upgrading from a quest 1 to a G2 I can't say.

I have an ipd of 69 and was worried about quest 2 but I was pleasantly surprised with it. Both the quest 2 and the G2 have their strengths and weaknesses and I would be hard pressed to reccomend one over the other (it depends on your priorities)

I will say for me personally owning both of them feels like a good balance , and the 2.combined cost me less than an index so it was good for me.
I have not used a quest 1 enough to speak with authority so I won't..... However I came from a rift CV1 and both the quest 2 and the G2 are significant upgrades in image quality, the quest 2 is very good, the G2 is phenomenal.
To get the most out of the G2 you may need to change the faceplate. Google is your friend on that. I used an odyssey VR cover and it's made the G2 significantly better for me.

Last edited:
I’ve just bought a G2, pretty much solely for MSFS. Hopefully, I’ll get it up and running Mon/Tue. Also coming from a Quest 2. I’ll report back with my findings. Mind you, there is nothing stopping you from ordering one, while they are in stock. If it’s not what you were expecting, you won’t exactly lose much by floating it off onto ebay.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts Mate :smashin:

It doesn't at all. The headset tracking is fine if you set it up correctly. The controller tracking is not quite as good as the quest but anyone telling you it is lousy are either inept at setting it up or are talking nonsense.

If lighthouse /3 camera constellation tracking is a 10
And Oculus insight is an 8.5
Then the reverb G2 is a 7.5 imo (just controller, the headset is flawless)

As to whether it is worth upgrading from a quest 1 to a G2 I can't say.

I have an ipd of 69 and was worried about quest 2 but I was pleasantly surprised with it. Both the quest 2 and the G2 have their strengths and weaknesses and I would be hard pressed to recommend one over the other (it depends on your priorities)

I will say for me personally owning both of them feels like a good balance , and the 2.combined cost me less than an index so it was good for me.
I have not used a quest 1 enough to speak with authority so I won't..... However I came from a rift CV1 and both the quest 2 and the G2 are significant upgrades in image quality, the quest 2 is very good, the G2 is phenomenal.
To get the most out of the G2 you may need to change the faceplate. Google is your friend on that. I used an odyssey VR cover and it's made the G2 significantly better for me.

thanks for advice re IPD thats good to know,

if i'd been a little later to the VR party, i could of bought the Quest 2,
but would of could of should of :facepalm:

the problem is, and like everything in life, eventually something better is going to show up!
ive got Alyx - Squadrons and MSFS to play in VR among other stuff,

i probably don't want to put off playing these in case the next new headset is due out in 6 months maybe!

i dont mind playing the stand up games on the quest for now as that adds to the immersion until a better wireless headset is realised, and squadrons and MSFS are sit down,

so that would sut the G2, also i use keyboard/hotas in VR so if the controllers have tracking issues currently that should not be too much a problem,

the other problem, and I'm sure I am not alone, is my Mrs is on odd little thing, she notices silly differences, for instance if i bought a white quest 2 she is going to notice! but if i buy a black G2 shes probably not going to notice, especially as i have the franken mod on my quest, so looks very similar to the HP g2

obviously i need to get it in the house without her noticing! but she's working next thur/fri, so if i order it Wednesday! it should get to me Friday latest "

thanks gain guys for your help/input.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts Mate :smashin:

thanks for advice re IPD thats good to know,

if i'd been a little later to the VR party, i could of bought the Quest 2,
but would of could of should of :facepalm:

the problem is, and like everything in life, eventually something better is going to show up!
ive got Alyx - Squadrons and MSFS to play in VR among other stuff,

i probably don't want to put off playing these in case the next new headset is due out in 6 months maybe!

i dont mind playing the stand up games on the quest for now as that adds to the immersion until a better wireless headset is realised, and squadrons and MSFS are sit down,

so that would sut the G2, also i use keyboard/hotas in VR so if the controllers have tracking issues currently that should not be too much a problem,

the other problem, and I'm sure I am not alone, is my Mrs is on odd little thing, she notices silly differences, for instance if i bought a white quest 2 she is going to notice! but if i buy a black G2 shes probably not going to notice, especially as i have the franken mod on my quest, so looks very similar to the HP g2

obviously i need to get it in the house without her noticing! but she's working next thur/fri, so if i order it Wednesday! it should get to me Friday latest "

thanks gain guys for your help/input.

Hardly any good game’s coming up. I’m saving all the VR games which are amazing for a better headset

Hardly any good game’s coming up. I’m saving all the VR games which are amazing for a better headset
Hear what your saying, trouble is every time there is the next better headset there’s always compromises, its just weather i plump for the G2. Or wait for the next best Headset with compromises

i flew the new spitfire in MSFS yesterday with the quest 1, its still an amazing experience with the quest, however having a few probs with MSFS and steamVR on virtual desktop, the alternative is oculus direct cable but then there’s the disconnects due to the amd usb problem:facepalm:
so it seems there’s nowhere to run from these glitches lol

Hear what your saying, trouble is every time there is the next better headset there’s always compromises, its just weather i plump for the G2. Or wait for the next best Headset with compromises

i flew the new spitfire in MSFS yesterday with the quest 1, its still an amazing experience with the quest, however having a few probs with MSFS and steamVR on virtual desktop, the alternative is oculus direct cable but then there’s the disconnects due to the amd usb problem:facepalm:
so it seems there’s nowhere to run from these glitches lol
AMD USB problem? tell us more maybe we can sort that out, I find the link cable excellent

AMD USB problem? tell us more maybe we can sort that out, I find the link cable excellent

I'll have to do some digging, but a week or so ago, i just re installed msfs on my newly build system, and was getting random disconnects thru the link cable, id end up back at the oculus home screen, and it would not let me re enable link, restart pc and its all fine, i just did a little searching, and apparently AMD are aware of USB problems on AMD boards but i believe specifically X570 ones! and are looking at a fix,
but will do some more Digging,
however jus to add to that i don't think i have been disconnected paying il2 etc, which was why i thought it might be a msfs problem, (not sure if i was using VD or link for that thou, i will try il2 today with link and see what i get ! )
but ended up seeing posts about amd usb issue

I'll have to do some digging, but a week or so ago, i just re installed msfs on my newly build system, and was getting random disconnects thru the link cable, id end up back at the oculus home screen, and it would not let me re enable link, restart pc and its all fine, i just did a little searching, and apparently AMD are aware of USB problems on AMD boards but i believe specifically X570 ones! and are looking at a fix,
but will do some more Digging,
however jus to add to that i don't think i have been disconnected paying il2 etc, which was why i thought it might be a msfs problem, (not sure if i was using VD or link for that thou, i will try il2 today with link and see what i get ! )
but ended up seeing posts about amd usb issue
ah I see what you mean now, hopefully they don't take long to address, possibly worth installing a previous driver as it may be more reliable!

ah I see what you mean now, hopefully they don't take long to address, possibly worth installing a previous driver as it may be more reliable!

i just realised this problem might be one i previously new about, its to do with pcie .4.0
the interim fix going going down to pcie 3.0 apparently, will check as im sure i did do that in the bios, but maybe not,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom