1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ques re:storage of footage

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cubix, Oct 22, 2005.

1. cubix

cubix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be buying a buget mini dv camcorder to get myself back into taking home movies. The thing is my camcorder will probably not have dv-in,to put the footage back onto the tape when I am finished with it on the pc.My question is this, I always like to keep 2copies of important stuff so if I have a dv tape with 1hr's footage how much space in MB's will that take up on my HD. Also like for like which works out cheaper a dv tape or HD space ie: if a dv tape holds 1hr footage,how many hr's would you get on say a 200GB drive. Am I making sense?. The other thing is when you record on a Mini dv tape what format is it using and when you are capturing it to the computer whats the best format to use to keep the quality

Cheers

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Phew, a lot of questions here :D , lets see if I can answer them.
    1 hour of DV footage will eat up approx 14Gb of HDD space.
    Without checking the latest prices I think it works out at something like:
    DV tapes cost approx £3 each
    A 300Gb HDD costs approx £100
    300Gb/14Gb = 21hours of footage
    £100/21 = just under £5 per hour of footage.
    But remember you can't fill a HDD with captured video as you still need space for editing and file conversion, so in real terms you need around double the space of the captured footage to allow for editing/conversion.
    200/14=14 hours
    NO! :devil:
    It's not until you copy the footage off tape and onto a PC that you really have a named format for the files, but a direct copy to a PC without any conversion will creat .AVI files. This is the best format to keep all the working files in as it is a 100% quality copy of what is on the tape and will stay at 100% until converted to something else, say MPEG-2 to create a DVD.

I hope the above helps to clear things up a little,
    Mark.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    14gb refers to the raw footage, as soon as you start doing any colour correction, titling, effects or adjustmnet you can pretty much double it for your render files.

For storage I keep the source tapes (always have done, nowadays it's pretty cheap) and I also keep a master of any finished programmes. Occassionally If I'm swapping between systems I'll back up my rushes onto a DVD data disc, as Mark rightly said .AVI format (choose DV PAL -europe- or DV NTSC - everywhere else, best quality, uncompressed audio with 48khz sample rate, 16 bit depth and stereo)

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. cubix

cubix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: