Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Query regards getting tags working on WMA MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Channard, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Channard

Channard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just picked up a rather excellent Digitball 256MB Mp3 player for thirty quid or so, and while it displays the name of songs that are in MP3 format, in WMA format it just gives the file name - eg a:\music\aliceco~1 instead of Alice Cooper - Dragontown. The name is correct in Windows Media Player, and I can certainly convert my CDs to MP3 format but I'd rather use WMA as I can fit more songs on the player that way. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? I've given the manufacturers an email but since it's the weekend they likely won't get back to me for a bit. Help appreciated.

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi - the file name is separate from the MP3 tags...

Right click the mp3 in explorer... look at properties, then summary - do all the album/track/artists deatils list?

If not - they have no completed tags ... you need a utility to fill them in... loads around... mp3tagit is ok for cheap...

D

3. Channard

Channard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MP3s actually display the tags okay. And they are tagged. It's the WMA files which display the artist and title details on my PC when I right click yet won't display on my player.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's possibly to do with the fact the mp3 player can only work with ID tags which are of an earlier version (probably ID3v1) than the wma ripper is providing (probably ID3v2). If you can convert all tags to the earlier format using a utility like mp3tagit (I've not used it so I can't say) then that should do the trick.

I use a Mac, and Music Man does this job just fine for my old mp3 player and newly ripped tracks.