• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Query re "open" vs "closed"

bosque

Distinguished Member
I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (32 ohm) headphones, the sound is good and clear but I'm suprised I have to turn up the volume control on my amp quite high to get an impact - much higher than when I use my three year old aging Audio-Technica phones.

The Beyerdynamic phones are described as "semi-closed" - I'm wondering if this has an effect on the headphone sound in comparison to a pair which are "open" ? It could also be that my ears are unsophisticated and need educating :) I would really appreciate some advice.

dlg78

Established Member
I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (32 ohm) headphones, the sound is good and clear but I'm suprised I have to turn up the volume control on my amp quite high to get an impact - much higher than when I use my three year old aging Audio-Technica phones.

The Beyerdynamic phones are described as "semi-closed" - I'm wondering if this has an effect on the headphone sound in comparison to a pair which are "open" ? It could also be that my ears are unsophisticated and need educating :) I would really appreciate some advice.

Have you compared the spec on your older AT headphones with the new Beyerdynamics?

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
I think this one comes down to efficiency! :)

penguinpaul

Established Member
Presuming when you say 'amp', that you're using a headphone amp? Because the BeyerDynamics really do enjoy being amped!

Drubbing

Established Member
Open or closed has nothing to do with this. Open allows air into the back of the drivers and closed closes them off. Neither affect drivability.

While they're only 32 ohms, Ohms are only one part of the equation. It could simply be the Beyers are less sensitive than the ATs, and therefore need more power to deliver the same volume.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom