Query re DVD connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluesa1, Dec 30, 2011.

1. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently have my Philips DVD recorder (DVDR 70) connected to my Panasonic TV by way of a scart lead. I then have a phono lead from the 'Audio-Out' on the back of the TV and this goes directly to the Technics amplifier and gives me my surround sound. I have a couple of questions please.
    1. Should I be connecting the DVD player directly to the TV as I have done or, should it be connected via the Sky+HD Box to the TV.
    2. Am I correct in taking the phono lead from the 'Audio-Out on the TV or, should I be doing this again via the Sky box.
    3. Is it possible that the DVD recorder will record from the 'Freeview' part of the TV whilst the Sky box is recording 2 other programmes at the same time, via the HDMI connection. This is often a requirement when my wife is recording two programmes and I also want to record something different.

The system as it is is working but I'm not sure if I have it setup in the best possible way.
    The Technics amplifier/receiver that I am using is not connected to the Sky box in any way (other than indirectly from the TV) and therefore as I say, I'm not sure that I am getting the best end result.
    One other thing, I am thinking of disposing of the Philips DVD recorder as it only records to disc. I will replace this with my Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD recorder. This recorder has an HDMI connection which may well go into the second HDMI slot on the back of the TV and I am wondering if this will help with the simultaneous recording from Freeview.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    My first question would be does the Technics amp have an optical sound input (or two)? If so then the best way to connect both the DVD and Sky is via optical straight into the Amp. You will be getting at best, standard stereo output from the TV. If your Amp can process Dolby Digital then optical from each source is the way forward.

If SCART is the best output from the DVD player then leave it connected straight into the TV, no need to go via the Sky box (doing this may reduce quality anyway).

As far as outputting the freeview signal from the TV to record it, a lot of TVs won't do this although they have now started to but only via USB mass storage and not a HDR. It will say if it's possible in the TVs manual or if you're not sure, post the model number of your TV and I'll take a look for you.

3. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On the back of the Technics amp there are two optical connections, one says Optical 1 (TV) and the other says Optical2(DVD) However, there is a note that says "This unit cannot decode Dolby Digital RF (radio frequency) signals from a laser disc player. I don't really know what that means.
    As scart is in fact the only output from the Philips DVD recorder, Would it be best if I changed the DVD player to the Panasonic one that has an HDMI output?
    The TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ70B.
    Thank you for taking the time to help. I am most grateful.

4. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On the back of the Technics amp there are two optical connections, one says Optical 1 (TV) and the other says Optical2(DVD) However, there is a note that says "This unit cannot decode Dolby Digital RF (radio frequency) signals from a laser disc player. I don't really know what that means.
    As scart is in fact the only output from the Philips DVD recorder, Would it be best if I changed the DVD player to the Panasonic one that has an HDMI output?
    The TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ70B.
    Thank you for taking the time to help. I am most grateful

5. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Could you post the model of the amp too matey?

6. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again, The amp is a Technics AV Control Receiver - Model number SA-DA20
    Thanks again.

7. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Right, without going into too much detail the note about the laser disc can be ignored as this is due to the fact laser discs output digital sound differently to DVD players and Sky.

Currently as you have it connected you aren't getting Digital sound from any source and while it may sound good, it could sound a whole lot better.

Firstly, you need to run an optical lead from the Sky box to the TV in on the Amp. That's your TV watching sorted.

As far as the DVD player goes I would definitely connect the Panasonic player to the TV via HDMI to get the best possible picture and then run another optical lead to the DVD input of the Amp for sound.

Hope all this helps!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is brilliant info, thank you so much for your time and effort in helping me. Don't know where us old codgers would be without people like you. One further question before I put your suggestions into practice, is an optical lead an optical lead or are there different qualities of them and if so what should I look for. Thanks again.

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,423
    No, they all do the same thing, just get one for the length you need and don't fall for the sales/advertising hype you may get in the large retail sheds.

10. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Agreed, plenty on Amazon for around a fiver each, just check the reviews to make sure you're not buying rubbish.

11. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is to SteveU30 and JayCee - thanks to both for the help given

Too late!!!! I think that I just got caught. I went to Richer Sounds with the intention of buying two optical cables, they only had one in stock (they've been really busy) and that is a Cambridge Audio DIG300 (0.75m long) which he did for £12.91 He then said that I could use a cambridge Audio 1PH/1PH Digital Cable Series 300 (1m long looks to me like phono plug at each end) in place of the other optical lead and that it would be just as good. He sold me this lead for £16.89. have I been robbed??? and is the digital cable as good as an optical cable?
    I also purchased a Cambridge Audio 1PH/1PH Gigital Cable 500 Series (7.5m long) for connecting my subwoofer (this also has phono plug at each end). This cost me £25.10. Thoughts on this too if possible please.

Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  12. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    The digital cable will work the same as an optical cable and your Amp definitely has a digital coax in, however the DVD player hasn't got a digital coax out though but the Sky box may have (usually a single orange phono jack marked digital or S/PDIF out).

13. bluesa1

bluesa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again SteveU30, I connected my Sky box to the amp with the optical cable and crikey what a difference it has made, chalk and cheese I'd say, I wouldn't have thought it possible. Thanks again for the info. Do you have any thoughts on what I paid for the cables? Thanks again for all your help. Best wishes for 2012.

14. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Well Cambridge Audio are pretty decent cables so they should never let you down build quality wise. The thing with digital connections though is that they either work or don't, there's no in-between, so whether it's a cheap cable or expensive cable if it works, it works!