1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query: Phillips 32PW9616

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Milhouse, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered this TV online, and it arrived without it's wireless rear speakers. I contacted the seller who supplied them the next day. However, on attempting to fit the transmitter module at the rear of the TV I found that the flying lead which plugs into a port on the TV is two short by about 2 - 3 inches - this means I am not able to attach the module and would have to leave it dangling, not what you'd expect from a £1200+ TV. And even if I could attach the module it would actually cover up the top two SCART sockets (3 and 4) - this is supposed to be a wireless 4 SCART TV... if I attach the module it becomes a 2 SCART TV, Trading Standards anyone? :)

Accepting that I might have to leave the module dangling, I plugged it in and powered up the TV only to find it wouldn't come on, the power light is now flashing red - obviously an error indication.

I attempted to return the rear speakers (model #AD902W) to the seller stating they seemed like the wrong ones but they informed they were correct and have arranged for a Phillips engineer to visit (not for a couple of weeks are I can only do a Saturday).

For owners of this range of TV, can you let me know the details of your wireless setup (and how old it is as part numbers could have changed)? What is the model number of your wireless speakers and are SCARTS 3 and 4 are still accessable?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on PW9616 owners! :)

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last try with this thread otherwise I'll have to fight my corner with the vendor blind :( Doesn't anybody have details of the wireless speakers for a UK version of this TV? ie., part number and/or whether the transmitter module covers the top row of SCART sockets?

:)

4. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Phillips engineer was supposed to come look at this set and check out the supplied speakers and the lack of stereo audio over SCART - needless to say (s)he didn't show, nor have I had any phone call to explain why - NOT impressed.

I'll contact Empire Direct tomorrow as Phillips refuse to deal direct with the customer (nice) - if ED can't sort this by next Saturday I'll be expecting a refund. :mad:

I'm surprised nobody has responded to this thread - am I the only 9616 owner on this forum?! ;)

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Type 9616 in search box, some people to harangue in there no doubt.:devil:

6. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er yes, thank you, you have been most helpful - don't you think I've tried that? Read my question, do the search yourself and realise the answer isn't there. :rolleyes:

7. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Settle down millhouse - they were only trying to help you.

If every post that isn't to one's taste was followed by unhelpful intent then bulletin boards would be VERY quiet indeed.

D

8. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dbloor - you're right, my reply was somewhat unecessary for which I apologise. However my intention is not to "harangue" anybody, to that I took exception.

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I replied with good will to keep your thread alive Millhouse and, yes, suggest an 'obvious' thing to do. But on visiting this forum it is clear several people don't think to use the search or to contact others, instead sitting waiting for replies. I tried 9616 and saw people come up with, or at least had, this set. Contacted them eh?
    Perhaps if you used as much vigour to actually contact people (politely) you'd get an answer you were comfortable with.
    But here's another obvious thing you may or may not of thought of, have you phoned (another) or actually been to a retailer to see what they've done? Or ask'd them to get out the speakers, if not there on display, and plug them in.

10. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, and my apologies for the misunderstanding.

I have contacted both Philips and the original vendor, to be told two different stories - Philips saying the model should be BS100 and the vendor telling me it is AD902W (and the latter don't work either because they are simply the wrong model or my TV (or the speakers, or both) are faulty). :confused:

I _could_ try another vendor but I don't feel comfortable wasting their time when I haven't paid them a penny. As I was supposed to be having a Philips engineer call on Saturday I wasn't that concerned about getting a reply but since he/she never bothered to show I bumped this thread. Now it's seen more activity this evening than in the last couple of weeks! ;)

My hope was that an owner would reply with the model number of the speakers they had received (and gotten working). Replying to an owners thread may have helped, but I would have assumed (and this is where I could have gone wrong) that they are continuing to read the forum rather than simply monitoring those threads in which they have an interest.

Cheers :)

11. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 9616c and i brought it about 10months ago from sound+vision in Bolton

the wire from the module just only just reaches the socket if i guide it around using the litlle hook things on the back but i must stress it is very tight and you would have thought philips could have given a few extra inches considering the amount we spent on it, but i'm having loads of problems with mine anyway and getting no help from philips the t**ts that they are, sorry got of tangent then with a rant against those money grabbing b*****s

hope this helps if u need more info contact me again and i'll try and help at uni at the minute though.

12. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate - the lead on the module I have is about 2 inches short, there is no way I can attach the module to the rear of the set using the clips intended for the purpose AND insert the wire into the wireless socket. Even if I do attach the module (leaving the wire unplugged so therefore a pointless excercise!) the module itself covers over the top 2 SCART sockets (AV3 and AV4) - since this is sold as a 4 SCART TV that can't be right!! And when the unit is plugged in with the module dangling the TV shows a fault condition and wont start. :(

The wireless model I have is AD902W for a 32PW9616C - do you know the model number of the unit you received?

I'm still trying to resolve the whole issue with Empire, they phoned Philips today and were told the engineer called at my house (wrong - I was in all day Saturday) and that they called me on the phone, which is true but as my work number had 6 missed calls this morning, the last timed at 10am Saturday. Muppets! Philips were supposed to call me today to rearrange and haven't, Empire have now shut without returning 2 phone calls asking them to chase up Philips. So _not_ happy! ;)

Fortunately the law is on my side, so I have no fear (I think it is anyway, it's been defective from the beginning, I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to a refund without any argument).

13. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate they've definetly give you the wrong module the stupid idiots(my fury at philips still unabated:))

the one you should have is

AD901WT/01

it should clip above your four scarts in the three slots there in no way blocking your scarts and the wire should thread over and around you 5.1 inputs using those clippy things and the wire will reach but only just.

Hope this helps:)

Happy to help

Atif:D

14. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atif - You're an absolute star, this is the kind of info I've been waiting for for the last few weeks! Thank you, it proves I wasn't going mad and that both Philips and Empire Direct don't know their a**es from their elbow! :mad:

Never mind, at least I now know what to tell the engineer if/when he/she ever turns up! :)

By the way - any ideas on my stereo issue? I don't seem to be getting stereo delivered over SCART (specifically input on AV2 as the other RGB is for DVD on DD5.1 - no probs here) - I've tried this through both digital cable and also a TiVo/Analogue cable combination and the sound is substantially inferior to basic NICAM on RF transmissions (and those delivered via TiVo/Analogue cable on RF). I can't imagine it is the TiVo as the digital cable seems to be in mono also - what are your broadcast sources and do you get stereo over SCART (does the TV display the sound format in text prior to the video format? Mine doesn't)

Thanks again!

15. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( I'm afarid i'm not sure on that one. I definetly get good quality nicam sound on ext2,ext3. ext 2 has my itv digibox hooked up directly and ext3 has my video hooked up and my ntl box routing through the video as well using it's second scart and i definetly get good nicam on both and of my nintendo and playstation on ext 4. But i've checked the info display and it does not give you the sound before the picture format it only does it on ext 1 when it switches to dolby digital mode it comes up dolby digital or 3/2 sound.

I've checked through the menus and the setup menu and there are only options for surrond sound the nicam just seems to be default on.

my only suggestion is you collar the engineer if/when he/she turns up;)

Atif

16. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips called me today, they can't get an engineer out to me until Saturday Dec 8th (I can only do Saturdays so partly my fault for these additional delays). I asked if they knew what the fault was to be told "buzzing on the speakers". Yeah, right...

I also enquired whether the engineer would be arriving with the correct wireless speakers - "oh no, this is only an assesment - once he's been he'll order parts if necessary and make another appointment to come back"

OK, I can see how this is going - a week or two to order the speakers, another week to drop them off etc. It would be after Christmas before I have a working product - stuff that!

Called Empire, they offered to replace the TV but are out of stock until January :rolleyes: Requested a refund instead and this was accepted without any hesitation. I must admit that Lynne the supervisor at Empire has been very good and has tried to resolve this situation after a few initial hiccups.

I've now ordered a replacement 32PW9616 from HiSpek who will deliver this Thursday (I've arranged for my Mum to be there!)

Thanks for all the replies :)

17. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good for you mate

If you can get a working set it really is a cracking model and the sound just has to be heard to belived i recommend the starwars dvd with the thx intro ohh wow my mum nearly dropped her tea:)

i'm also happy to report that after a scathing letter to sound+vision(and the threat of watchdog) they have offered to replace my ten month old never working properly set with a brand new one as a geasture of good will (not sure if you've been following my thread 32pw9616c story if not read it and all will be explained) so fingers crossed i'll have a set that is working properly in a few days.

now were both happy

Atif :)

18. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New TV arrived today - wireless speakers supplied are model AD901W/05. :D

When I get home I'll check out the Stereo issue over the SCARTs to see if the original set had a fault in this department.

19. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New TV is working great, one difference though is that this model has a "delta volume" option which allows you to equalise the volume across all the different channels (inc. AV sockets). I've increased the relative volume of the TiVo channel and cut the volume slightly on BBC1 - this has helped where the TiVo was previously "much quieter" than an equivalent non-TiVo channel but I'm yet to perform further tests to determine if I'm now getting stereo over SCART (it does sound better on this set).

This model is a 32PW9616/05M whereas my previous model (without the Delta Volume setting) was 32PW9616/05R.

Watched Saving Private Ryan last night with the rears going - effing amazing. :)

20. atifds9

atifds9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds Like you got a good set, hopefully my new one will be just as good when it arrives in a few days.

I'll let you know

Atif :)

21. lona

lona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Sir,
    I read about your problem with the Philps Matchline TV and the wireless sender .
    I have the same problem: Philips delivered the wrong device.

I have the AD901WT and i need the AD902WT.

Why don't we exchange the two devices.
    I could send you mine and you might send me yours,
    Then we both have what we need.

I live in the Netherlands.

Please let me know

Mr. Louis Naus
    e-mail louis.naus@hccnet.nl

22. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    You're addressing a post which is 7 years old...I doubt the original poster still requires the part.
    Also, it is never a good idea to supply your email address on a forum such as this as it can lead to loads of spam emails to your inbox...you can click the EDIT button and remove it.