1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query on RGB scart to YUV convertors

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FaxFan2002, Dec 28, 2003.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    All,

Having finally settled all my wee problems (thanks for all the help from the forum members!), my NTL feed (composite (via cheapo scart convertor) to 3803, upconverted to component to plasma) is still pretty poor - in comparsion to sky (seen on someone else's setup).

Do you think the following will make a small / medium / large difference:-

NTL Digibox -> RGB scart to component convertor -> component pass thru on 3803 -> component on TV

Your views please?

One point of view is that that 3803 is already doing the job of the convertor, albeit with a poor source (composite) to begin with.

Cheers,

Rob.

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FaxFan2002,

surely you've heard the term Garbage In, Garbage Out :) ??

Then i'd say this applies to you current connection in that you are (as you've said) converting a poor quality source signal in the first place to component.

I'd say there should be a definate image improvement as you'd be converting a superior quality signal (RGB Scart) to component.

we use a JSTech RGB2YUV convert which inturn connects to our Yamaha AV receiver (albeit which doesn't do any up conversions of it's own) and image on Sky is pretty good. Obviously variable depending on which channel is watched :)

regards
    Gary

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with nealgs, I use the same convertor for my setup (with NTL) and get exceptional results.

Composite is a dire signal source, so up-conversion doesn't have a great deal to work from (like expecting a DVD like picture from a VHS source) as it can't add information and detail in.

S-Video would be a little better, but none of the NTL boxes can output this, ASFAIK, so you'd be better of buying a JSTech convertor.

Another thing is that many consider the RGBtoVGA convertor a better option for Sky / Cable sources, (including John Sim himself). This is slightly cheaper than the RGB-YUV convertor, and may help if you have connection / switching issues.

A search of the plasma forum should throw up a lot of info from satisfied customers...

BTW, I tried a cheaper version first, not good, wish I'd never bothered. In this instance you really do get what you pay for :lesson:

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    My thoughts.. however hows does the convertor handle sound? i.e. rgb scart -> yuv convertor - how do i get the sound to my amp, does it breakout of the convertor? i.e. two phone leads to amp?

5. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    My ScartRGB to VGA converter from John Sim works very well on Sky+. The converter has two audio outputs to the audio inputs on the screen. I've had it for about a year now and have not seen better Sky + results anywhere else. Movies are close to DVD quality.If you have an Amp the audio outputs go to that.
    My brother just bought a new 50" Panny and is unhappy with the Scart to Scart connection. I have recommended the VGA route.
    Someone else on the forum is happy with the S Video connection via a Scart to S Video cable. I tried that but there are more picture defects than with the JS converter.

6. poj66

poj66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm also looking into such a solution - converting rgb to YUV - since I have problem with rgb signals to my plasma. JS seam to have a good solution but has anyone tried Cypress converter. It is a bit cheaper and is the extra cash for a JS converter worth it? /PJ

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    url for js tech convertor anyone??

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    locally sourced a cyp scartrgb to yuv and even with the "standard" supplied component cable the picture is hundreds of times better. not sure a better cable will make much of a difference will try it with my dvd component cable and check.