Query on Limit DVD 9000SE w/Progressive PAL/NTSC

Based on comments on this forum I purchased a 9900se today. Component into my Tosh 42wp27 is amazing. Prog scan is so easy to turn on&off. Anyone know how to check that Plasma is getting prog input?

Also put in MR hack & it works fine too. I don't have a VCD to test, anyone tried one yet? i would really like to know if it can play VCD's before its too late to return it. Ive tried a jpeg disk with my home photos on and it works great.

I was waiting for the Philips 963SA but this is available now, is cheaper and is prog scan from factory!

yes it does do vcd's.is there any thing it wont play?

It does not play enhanced CD's. Or I haven't found a way to play them yet. We've got the Blue - All Rise CD which also contains video footage but plays in a normal CD player...though not in the Limit.

Ixi, I think it is worth the upgrade. The Toshiba is supposed to be a very good player but it doesn't do progressive scan. Progressive scan makes an incredible difference....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

Originally posted by drdm12345
I am glad I sort of introduced this little player to this forum. I am also glad this forum has dedicated people that have guided me so far in my choices.

Thank you very much for highlighting the existence of this player. Credit well deserved mate :D

:p

Blimey, check out the Zoran Vaddis V on that! :D

Steve

A quick question about NTSC/PAL output.

Obviously it outputs PAL, but I was wondering what it does with NTSC. My ideal situtation would be to be able to manual chose between outputting as PAL60 or NTSC. (Only got a PAL60 TV at the moment, but intend on upgrading to a plasma in the nearish furture :D )

Just thought of something else. I assume that although the player is capable of progressive output, you can choose to output in a normal mode that a normal CRT can cope with (I assum that's what interlaced means)

Thanks

phatboy

1.hold the volume button on the panell in while pressing the status button on the remote 3 times very fast (status button is the one under the power button)
2. a menu appears highlight the icc menu and press sellect

it should say in the top right hand corner what signal is showing ie 525p 525i 625p 625i.

you must have your panell on the component imput and your dvd player on at the time of doing this

to get out press the setup button then turn the panell off

be carefull in there dont go changing things

OK, so reading phatboy's post properly (gets a bit long after 4 pages :blush: ) answers that fact that you can easily switch off the progressive player.

This does make me think of another question. The RS site indicates that the player has an digital decoder. I assume this means DTS, and if so is it possible to switch this off, and allow my amp to do this?

Like with any DVD player, just use the Digital outputs and pass it as a raw stream to your AMP to let it do the decoding.
The player only decodes when you use the analogue outputs.

Yes the players can output SCART-RGB, SVideo, Composite and Component. All of those in Interlaced mode both in NTSC and PAL. To be honest I do not know about PAL60.

On component I was able to manually change a regionfree DVD, the Bounty, from NTSC to PAL which ofcourse resulted in a bigger picture on my projector as you can manually override the output...

Hmmm, that bringsup an interesting question which I haven't tried. If I can watch the Bounty in both NTSC and PAL using progressive scan. And my projector reports it correctly as 480p and 575p, does this mean this player is capable of upconverting R1 discs to 575p when you force the output to be PAL? Hmm, worth a go tonight :confused: :D

Sorry I got distracted there, JayBee, the short answer is yes.

Cheers,

JP

Thanks for the info dejongj. Sounds cool :D

I did notice on the RS site that it shows the DVD player as supporting NTSC-PAL60 conversion. Was the ability to select the output part of the DVD player, or the DVD itself. If the former, then I assume that selecting PAL output for a region 1 disk would make the conversion. I would be interested to hear what your findings are.

Out of interest does anyone know if it can output s-video through the scart? (This would simplify my spaghetti of wires ...thats all)

Cheers

Herman

Originally posted by hermand
Out of interest does anyone know if it can output s-video through the scart? (This would simplify my spaghetti of wires ...thats all)

Cheers

Herman

Out of interest, can I ask why you're interested in this player if you are going to use the s-video output?

I too would be interested in S-video via scart

- Component to projector and scart to TV would be usefull as I often watch DVD extras etc on TV rather than fire up the projector and deploy the screen.

Cheers

Does anyone have any info/comments on the Limit/chroma unsampling error/Zoran Vaddis issue.

Is it an issue?:confused:

RE: the chroma bug...

all the arcam dv88+ owners have exactly the same problem if you do a search on these forums, with no mention of a fix yet from John Dawson/ Arcam or info from Zoran.

think on one of these threads, JD describes the problem as "minor" from Arcam's tests.

however if you read through the hometheaterhifi link posted many times at:-
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
you'll notice it had an update in December 2002 with this info about the Zoran Vaddis 5 (used in the Limit) and the chroma bug..

Unfortunately, the chip still has the chroma upsampling bug, and it's just as bad as in previous Zoran chips.
Thus we can't really recommend players that use this chip. It may be possible to fix this with a firmware update, but this is just speculation on our part.
If it is, we encourage Zoran to put together a fix because in most other ways this chip is a good performer.

So one industry source says the problem is minor, the other says "its bad". HTT is pretty harsh in these benchmarks though so its all a matter of perspective and whether the problem really bugs you.

tried playing a few ntsc discs ,outputed in proggressive pal and 625p comes up on the plasma display!does this mean it does up-sample the signal from ntsc to pal ?and if so,should the picture be better or worse than just plain 525p for ntsc?

Originally posted by Nike
Out of interest, can I ask why you're interested in this player if you are going to use the s-video output?

OK - I have a panny PJ - which obviously I want Component/Prog scan for. In the same room I also have a telly (I only use the PJ for DVDs/Movies and footy). The Telly only has one RGB Scart - at the mo my current DVD player has 2 scarts and RGB passthrough - so I have my NTL cable box plugged into the DVD, which is then plugged into the RGB scart on the telly (For occasions where I want to watch a DVD, but only on the telly)

Now the Limit DVD has only one scart, so no RGB pass through. I want to keep the NTL cable box plugged into the RGB scart, so (unless I buy other new bits of kit) I will have to use either composite/ or s-video out of the Limit's single scart to connect the dvd to the telly.

Does that make any sense?

Cheers

Herman

herman.. I've got a similar setup to my ae-100.

I suppose you also have a vcr in amongst this mix, and also one of the outputs from your NTL box or other going to the projector by some method?

just to complicate things you understand.:)

jmack

thanks for info on signal input. I knew it would be in there somewhere.

I will check it out later.

Re NTSC upsampling, does anyone know exactly what the combination of 9900SE and plasma (panny/Tosh) is doing?

I was assuming that now ive got true PAL progresssive I would always get a better picture with PAL discs rather than NTSC discs. ie not much point in buying region 1 discs now. OR are R1 discs still going to give best picture for other reasons?

Originally posted by MartinCo
herman.. I've got a similar setup to my ae-100.

I suppose you also have a vcr in amongst this mix, and also one of the outputs from your NTL box or other going to the projector by some method?

just to complicate things you understand.:)

Actually I don't have a VCR (in that setup) at all now. If I watch VHS nowadays on anything but a 14inch portable it just looks like a broken DVD. And yeah, the rgb scart from the NTL box goes into a scart splitter, one of which goes into the RGB passthru of my current DVD player, the other goes into a RGB-S-video converter, which sends an s-video signal to the amp for video-switching purposes. Also have the s-video out of the dvd going into the amp for video switching between the two.

Sometime I'm scared to look behing the telly.:)

Cheers

Herman

Does anyone have any information on how to disable the Macrovision?

[I have applied the MR hack and it works!]

thanks

Can anyone tell me what the TE mode is in setup?
TE mode i found out is a little extra that shows itself when you change chapters,go to titles/menus etc,try it on slow to start with and see what you think.
I have never seen this before.

Originally posted by ebury
tried playing a few ntsc discs ,outputed in proggressive pal and 625p comes up on the plasma display!does this mean it does up-sample the signal from ntsc to pal ?and if so,should the picture be better or worse than just plain 525p for ntsc?

I have tried this as well and it seems to be working BUT....
I loose information and the screen ration seems to be changed. So yes it is doing it with weird effects...

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul

If you stop DVD, go to set up screen and change video between PAL and NTSC my display changes aspect / size. Is this what you are seeing.

Ive tried NTSC output as PAL to get upsampling, but I think NTSC looks better as NTSC @ 525p. This is on my Tosh 42wp27 Plasma which can take either NTSC or PAL no problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom