Query on Limit DVD 9000SE w/Progressive PAL/NTSC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by drdm12345, Dec 22, 2002.

1. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all. I saw a DVD on RS for £199 with component inputs and progressicve
    PAL and NTSC. Is it worth considering for connection with Sanyo PLVZ1
    projector or not? How would you rate this little player with others in a
    similar league (Toshiba 520)As far as I know Only Philips 963 and Arcam 88+
    do Pal progressive and these are way out of my league. Advise and discussion
    open. Thanks Dimitris

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this Limit player do PAL prog scan as well ??? WOW !! Anyone able to confirm this ?? Do Limit confirm it on their website ??

Monty.

3. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asked RS and they said it does. Actually I saw monsters inc (what else would they use as a test disc?) in progressive in one of their flat screens and it was amazing. I actiually went ahead and bought it! (I did not buy the cable as yet as I am left with little money!) I have connected to my TV via RGB Scart and the outcome is very good and so is the sound. This little thing offers a decoder built in too!!! Well pleased for the money I spent. I am sure the 963 Phil and Arcam players might do a bit better job on picture and sound but the difference in money is too big to justify such expenditure for my modest cinema. Dimitris

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly sounds like an intriguing player. . . I can't find a single review of it on the net, or an official web site for Limit either. If anyone can provide any further info, or links to information, I'd be grateful. I was looking to get a Tosh SD520 for around the same price, so just want some info to be able to compare.

RS have the model number as Limit DVD9900SE on their site . . .

Thanks in advance,

Monty.

5. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently it is a brand new player. I applied the multiregion patch and can confirm that it works a treat as well as with RCE discs. Quite pleased with it for the money. I would recommend it as it is reasonably priced with extremely good specs for the money plus no sign of plastic. The fascia is in chrome metal. Very much like the expensive Denons only smaller and maybe less charismatic

6. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drdm12345,

Thanks for the info . . . is the 'multiregion patch' simply a remote handset hack ?

I still can't find any info for the machine . . . do you know the manufacturers website address ? Is it on any of the documentation that came with the player ??

Thanks,

Monty.

7. fletcher

fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got this player this morning, i really like the look and feel of it.
    The remote feels abit light and cheap, but i'll not be useing that anyway.
    Its still only region 2 as RS forgot to give the instructions for multi region (they are calling me back soon with how to do this)
    I had a Tos 520e before this player, and i did not like the layer change, and it felt abit cheap (but i did like the remote), gonna give this a week and see how it goes tho

8. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fletcher,

Please post your comments on the player, and any comparisons with the Tosh 520 (favourable or not) as I'm currently deciding between these two for my new prog scan DVD player and would be very interested in your opinions on the two.

What didn't you like about the layer change on the Tosh ? Was it just too 'noticeable' ?? Are you using the players to output prog scan via component video ?

Thanks,

Monty.

9. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fletcher also let us know if you have connected via component and tell us how different is compared with Scart or S-Video. If you want I will post the multiregion hack. Thanks Dimitris

10. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm ... I was in Richer Sounds buying the Tosh 520 when the sales guy asked if I wanted the Limit instead having not heard much about it I insisted on the Tosh.
    I must admit having owned the excellent SD210 before I really couldn't see much if any difference in the PQ between both. I'm not too impressed with the plastic facia either. Will change it once prog PAL goes mainstream.

DTTB

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People do you really have the Limit 9900SE because the facia is anything but plastic!! It is really nice silver and metal, no plastic in sight whatsoever. I give you some slag and the plastic feel regarding the remote control thought. But you can always use a Pronto ;-)

And yes it does true 575p with R2 discs and 480p with R1 discs. Mine was already Multi-region.

12. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops question already answered...silly me!!:blush: :blush:

13. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dejongj,

It certainly sounds like it's worth looking at . . . what display do you have yours connected to ? What was your previous player, and how would you rate the PQ of the new Limit player in comparison ??

Also, did it do PAL progressive out of the box, or was that an additional 'hack' ?

Thanks,

Monty.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Can you post the remote hack please ?

I take it as it's PAL progressive the hack therefore wipes out Macrovision automatically ?

15. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one today. As I'm still waiting for my Philips 963SA from Holland. I know I'm crazy, but I'll sell one or other when the Philips arrives.

Anyway opened it up to find the Zoran Vaddis V chipset. I believe this to be the same as some high end manufacturers such as Arcam and as such can play DVD-Audio.

Will post a full report when I plug it into my Plasma.

16. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bluebaron,

Erm, isn't that the chipset used in the dv88 ??? A player that retails for £900 ???!!! It will certainly be interesting when you get the chance to directly compare the Limit with the 963sa, given that the Philips machine is 50% more expensive . . . this Limit machine is starting to sound far too good to be true :cool:

Monty.

17. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Open disc tray.
    Press following keys on remote:
    10+,5,3,6,7,5,1
    then
    For VCD then press 8.
    40d0 will appear 'on screen'.
    press 8 again.
    41D1 will appear.
    Player is now MR & will play VCD.

I have not checked the VCD compatability, but it is definitely MR & played my only RCE disc (Spiderman) fine.

18. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got an older LIMIT which I got from RS in August 2000. I have never been able in that time to track down any information about them. They don't appear to be clones of anything else and are only sold here by RS who also sell some DJ equipment with the same name.

No complaints though. Well built machine. Nice chrome fascia and excellent performance. Let down by tacky plastic remote which failed a couple of months ago. Although well out of guarantee, RS replaced it FOC.

:) :) :)

19. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well had a few hours with it connected to a Pioneer 433MXE plasma. All I can say is awesome. Although this is the first component/progressive DVD player I have owned and my other players were not exactly high end.

Played NTSC and PAL in 525p and 625p without any problems. The switch over on dual layer was also much quicker than the Pioneer 525 it replaces.

For those trying to find out where it was manufactured there don't seem to be any clues inside. My guess would be one of the many Chinese factories who make batches to order to whatever spec the client wants.

20. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the late response MontyUK. Christmas and travels and stuff prevented me to access the net.

I have got the Limit connected to a Sanyo PLV-30 project using Supra AV3 Component cabling (24Ft) and an OWL electric screen.

My previous players are a Kenwood DV999 I think, the one with the sliding front door (a first generation player but still very good). I have also a Samsung 709 which is now in the guest room and the Kenwood is in our Bedroom.

I borrowed a DV88 and a Cyrus AV7 to test the projector. The Cyrus is not progressive scan but I think the top in when using SVHS. The DV88 was and I must admit, I can't see a single bit of difference.

Now I must admit, I have not even tried using any of the other video outputs on the Limit (Composite, SVHS or Scart RGB) and I am not going to. I bought it purely for its progressive scan capabilities and they are FANTASTIC.

Mine was already MR and PAL progressive out of the box. The hack stated in this thread was the one supplied to me as well but didn't need it.

I do not know about Macrovision, my projector is not complaining and why would I want to copy a DVD to tape? One it is illegal, two the picture quality is bad and three originals are so cheap just buy it...

Get this player while there is still some stock.

PS If someone is interested in a shootout between the Philips, Arcam and the Limit...Then just let me know and see what we can arrange...

Regards,

Jean-Paul de Jong

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Sounds like quite a decent player for the money, could be well worth investigating further.

Macrovision can cause interference most especially with PJ's or RPJ tellys. However if this player is doing PAL progressive I would have thought it eliminates Macrovision which is probably why you are having no compatibility problems with your Sanyo.

Therefore, not quite sure on how asking a question about Macrovision automatically results in assuming people want to copy DVD's to tape ??:confused:

22. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jean Paul may I ask whether you are far from London? I would like to pay you a visit if you do not mind and have a look at the different sets of DVDs. Also I would like to suggest some sort of a club similar to the car clubs (I am a member of the Alfa Romeo club and we organise events and gatherings) Think it is a good idea to exchange ideas in person and experience our hobby. Any ideas on that?

23. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dimitris,

I am just north of London, just follow the signs for Whipsnade Zoo!! It is a little remote but at least one can turn up the volume as my neighbours a far enough away ;-)

I am more than happy to facilitate any demos you want. But regarding the club, I must admit that I am not really the club kind of person. That sort of thing really goes out of the window when you get married and like me now have a 4 month old gorgeous little daughter. Priorities change and my family comes first.

It is a good idea though, I used to belong to clubs and have participated in several events.

What DVD's would you like to check out?

Regards,

Jean-Paul

24. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jean-Paul

can you try a few of the standard scenes to test the de-interlacing on the Limit?

think the best one used to be the first 5 minutes in Star Trek Insurrection, but there are also scenes in Seven and Gladiator.
    do a search for others... sure people will suggest some.

also, are there any extra menu options for controlling the de-interlacing if it auto-detects the wrong video/ film format or is fooled by incorrect flags on the DVD?

25. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got Seven (R2) and Gladiator (R1), I can try out those scenes. I haven't got Star Trek but will look for a couple of the other DVD's for specific scenes.

Nope there are not any options that I have discovered in controlling the progressive scanning. It is really a just set-it-up-and-forget player. Not that many tinker options but a fantastic picture quality....

I will look for some of the scenes where it could go faulty, i.e. film versus video etc...Any specifics you want me to test?

Cheers,

JP

26. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hi everyone,ive also just bought the limit and was amazed how good prog scan on terminator was!my only problem so far is can anyone tell me if it is possible to put the player on standby/off from the remote?seems strange having to turn on the dvd from the machine or is it just me?

27. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. The Limit does not have a standby mode. It's a real shame.

I also made the mistake of reading about the chroma bug and now can see it if I look carefully enough. Still not bad for £199.

If/when my Philips 963SA turns up I'll do some comparison testing and then sell one.

28. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is what my friend the firefighter would say. He is always commenting that our house is a disaster waiting to happen with all that electronic equipment on standby. He takes it so seriously that he would go around and switch everything off in my own house :D

Anyway I agree it is quite annoying, we all have to get up from our sofa's now :D

Bluebaron, so do you advice us not to read about the chroma bug? I haven't noticed it so far, did you notice it before you knew about this bug?

Don't you love the way the human brain works...

Regards,

Jean-Paul

29. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just posted a question about this player outputing prog scan to my Loewe Aconda TV.

Was going to buy a Tosh 220E to play with while I saved up for a prog scan player and then saw the threads about the Limit player, which I can afford to buy right now at that sort of money.

I've been told I probably need something like an Iscan between the TV and the DVD player. But nobody at Loewe knows for sure.

Why do I need anything between the player and the TV?

Are you guys using anything in the middle, between player and TV?

30. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Drew,

I replied in your original thread....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul