Query on availability of Networked DVD-R recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jlewis, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jlewis

jlewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've had a Panasonic HS-2 for a couple of years now and I'm looking to upgrade.

Panasonic have just brought out a model DMR-80 - VCR/DVD-R/200GbHardDisk. This would allow me to replace two existing boxes with one.

However, what I'd really be interested in is a DVD-R with HardDisk and a Network connection.

I note that Panasonic do the DMR-E500H, but the network capabilities of this appear to be very limited - just really streaming playback of recorded programs to a PC.

The sort of additional network-related functionality I'm looking for is as follows:

1) ability to transfer program content to & from the box as files via FTP.
    2) ability to browse the EPG from a PC (or better still download it from the Internet).
    3) ability to remotely set timer recording from a PC

Ideally I'd like all the unit's functions that are available via the Remote Control to also be able to be accessible from a PC, e.g. via a web interface.

I have a Digital Satellite receiver with HDD & network, the DreamBox 7000s, which comes pretty close to this, except that recording is strictly limited to what comes in on satellite Tuner interface.

Are there any other terrestrial DVD-R recorders either out now or announced for release in the near future that have these capabilities?

Also, are there any Home Entertainment Exhibitions on this month or next month that will be exhibiting this sort of kit?

Regards,

John

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of us are waiting for such a box! The manufacturers seem to be slow enough on getting DTV tuners in their machine so don't hold your breath. The nearest thing at the moment is the Topfield 5800 that has a USB2 port that can be used to read/write from the "Toppy" hard disk to/from a PC. It is a bit clunky and additional software is needed if you want to change the recorded TS (Transport Stream) to a PS (Programme Stream) to view on your PC. However, it does work and the Topfield has the advantage of having two DVT tuners and it can therefore record two programmes even if they are on different multiplexes whilst, at the same time, playing back a recorded programme.

3. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. jlewis

jlewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That looks perfect - just what I'm looking for.

And did anyone notice that, quietly, Cisco (big IT networking company, which owns Linksys) has just bought the company? That means Kiss is going to be around for a while. It'll probably also mean that anew generation if recorders in linksys blue cannot be far away...

Has anyone any experience of their kit?

6. jonspurs

jonspurs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    But this isn't a DVD Recorder - just a player. Anyone know if there's a box with all the tricks - DVD Recording, Ethernet, HD, Support nearly all formats, everything??? At a good price???

Jon

7. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon a small form factor PC with a DVI gfx card is the best bet for the job.. been desperate for just what you're asking for, for a long long time and still no satisfactory product on the market that I've been able to find so a little bit of PC DIY is called for..

The only thing that a PC doesn't integrate is a VCR, but to be honest it's about time for a clean break with analogue. onwards and upwards!