1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query for the MM Man

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by krungthep56, May 25, 2005.

1. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Howdy MM Man,

Like the Light Fusion concept, and love the posts: any chance you'll start to crank LF screens out on a regular/commercial basis??

There is a site I found recently and which I referred to in an earlier post (www.mocomtech.com) which seems to have found some magic way of creating a screen with a gain of 200(!), which suddenly makes viewing w ambient light a realistic possiblity. However, the holy grail of screens also comes with a $2,000US price tag(!!)

Given that your process must be similar, there has to be a commercial application for all this??

Any plans to churn out by the '00/'000?

Regards,

KT56

2. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Boy oh Boy, KT56!

This is some record for me, responding to a post so old and neglected! I'm truly sorry for that is not my way. But do blame it on the fact that this Forum is a pretty busy place, and your post rolled off the screen before I got back.

For the record, ANYBODY who wants a little sage advice, a suggestion as to what DIY application might suit their specific needs, or even a Hand Holding while they progress through the various steps required to effect a DIY screen app, just email me.

nvisible@midsouth.rr.com

And you'll get an answer as fast as I can get to it. Post up as well, and the answer will be posted on your thread for everyone else to see and beneifit from if desired.

Mman

3. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "Gain" is such a missused phrase by Mfg.

"Perceived Gain" is much more accurate.

<<<Ultra High Gain = UHG >>>

Screens are by nature "passive" and merely reflect light. A UHG Screen simply focuses the light more directly toward the center, making it appear to be brighter. This "apperance" of brightness can be measured in "Candlepower", but there is no actual increase in the energy being outputed by the screen's surface.

All this "directionallity" comes with a heavy price tag. And not just in Pounds Sterling. Reduced Veiwing Cone, (..the example given is atriciously narrow) Color shifting, and size limitations. UHG Torus designs can mitigate the size issue, but that's all.

Commercial presentation screens can usually beneifit from this kind of application. That is, if the viewing area is a restictive one. In the US, many want PJ set-ups that will reject Ambient Light and allow 110" size viewing in virtually "Daylight" conditions. It ain't happening as of yet, but the Sony ChromaView was a start, (but too small and too pricey) and there are two other offerings about to break out this fall that will in fact offer such "Black Screen" RGB Filter technology in a size up to 110". but hold on to the title of that Bently! 110" is projected to cost over $5K in USD.

Why? Because so many have groussed about the small size and high cost of 62" Plasmas, which cost about the same or more, so Marketing reasoning would show that to acquire 110" and watch it in a Daytime Family Room invironment would be decidely "The Jetsons" kind of thing that should/would be desirious of many, and worth every penny of 5-7K w/ a PJ thrown in.

My DIY applications can resist ambient light all the way out to 140" for a fraction (25%) of the cost stated above. But no way can they duplicate the action or performance of a "Black Screen"

But I and others devoted to DIY solutions are working on it.:cool:

Commercial examples of LF screens? I for one am about to embark on the creation of a 40' x 22.5' Outdoor "Composite Panel" Light Fusion Screen for a particular International Film Festival that wants to effect a "Under The Stars" venue . (My, how word of a good thing get's around!:eek:) When the materials are finalized, the Substrate will be made known on this Forum and across the Globe. If you all can source it, then Just Do IT! You'll have my blessing. And a truly durable, washable, FP Light Fusion Screen.

Can a resurgence of the "Drive -In" be far behind?

Meanwhile, my efforts will continue to provide fodder and assistance to those cheapskates of us who demand something better, for less than is decent and respectable.:devil: