1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query about the Alien Director's Cut SE

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been loaned a downloaded Shrink of this disc :nono: with both versions on it but no menus - how can I tell if I'm watching the new Director's cut? Does anyone know the time index of one of the new scenes so I could scan ahead to check? I read somewhere that the new version is actually a shorter running time - is that right?

Any help appreciated.

Nick

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Directors cut is shorter and has the "nest" scene

3. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that literally the only scene that's different? Hardly worthy of a Director's Cut title - perhaps the inclusion of DTS just about tips the scales...

Nick

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    there's quite a few things that have been cut or added through the entire film, the "nest" scene is the single biggest addition though.
    There's been some fairly significant colour timing/correction/grading been done to it too, so visually it looks quite different to the original version (if you've seen it as many times as I have you'll notice straight away)

Ridley Scott maintains it's not a "directors cut" though, just an alternate version. Personally I prefer the original theatrical version, none of the new material really adds anything and the use of the nest scene makes a mockery of all the films that followed it in the series.
    The new audio mixes are nice :smashin: and the extras are excellent it's just the new version of the film wasn't really needed, but you have the option to watch either version so you can't lose

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Not to mention the actuall dvd print looks stunning!!

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish more companies would give us both versions when they do "alternate" releases ( Columbia take note )

Do We Get To Win This Time ?

Always wanted to type that :)