Query about DVD players with Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by u101946, Dec 11, 2002.

1. u101946

u101946
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a Philips 32" Dolby Pro Logic TV. A cheap LG DVD and a Nicam Sanyo VCR. and a PACE SKY box

When i play a DVD i have to turn the sound to nearly full to get any sound.... i assume its the amp in the DVD player thats rubbish. hence i want a new set up

so what i was going to do is buy a Home Theatre Kit with 5.1 DTS speaker set

If i buy (for instance) a Sony DAVS5500 - home theatre kit with 5.1 DTS

the question is will i only be able to get sound from the new speakers and subwoofer when i watch a DVD? as i dont really want to have 2 sets of speakers (one for TV and one for DVD)

i appreciate that tv is only broadcast in DPL, as is Sky (unless you have a Sky+) in which case i would get DTS.

any help would be useful. i may of course be better off buying a AMP and 5.1 Speaker set ? of which i could use as an input for all sources.

Arghh.... i dont want to spend £600 and only benefit from it when i watch DVD's

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You should be getting the sound from your DVD through your television. Your problem might be in the way its connected (there won't be an amp in your dvd player). Are you using a scart ? Some scarts have the audio connections disabled. Anyway, getting an amp/speakers will give you much better sound.

Buying a separate amp and then speakers will give you a better sound than an player/amp combined home cinema kit, although it will be more expensive. It all depends on your buget.

If you do go a combined kit you should be able to pass through the sound from your sky box and get it in pro logic, although check with the supplier before you buy first.

Note that you only get Dolby Digital from Sky+ from the Movies Widescreen channel and even then its not all the movies.

3. u101946

u101946
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply..

its all a bit of a mine field.
    what output will i need from the Sky box to what input on the DVD kit to get the TV broadcasts in DPL.

i have looked at the Sony website for this model and it does look awfully complex.

i know these things are difficult to discuss via text with no diagrams - sorry

i have attached a doc with what it suggests to do !!

one thing that worrys me is connection 8a/8b does this mean use either scart or S-video or both as i am not sure that my TV have s-video on the back, it has 2 Scarts though

Attached Files:

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your sky box will output sound from two phone jacks - one for left andone for right. Looking at the diagram the player/amp has got two places where you can connect these, Video 1 LR and Video 2LR. These are connections 6 and 7 on the diagram.

In the diagram it looks like they have connected the sky box to the tv with a scart, which will take the audio to the tv, and then output it into the amp via Video 2 (connection 7).

You could connect the audio LR output from your sky box directly into the amp if you wanted. If you did it in the way they show in the diagram it means that what ever the tv is displaying (arial rf, video, sky) will always be sent to the amp which means you won't have to change the selector as to use different sources.

Don't worry about the s-vid connection. It just means you have this option available if you need it but you're better off connecting it via the scart anyway.

5. u101946

u101946
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it looks like a viable option then, and this also means that i can get rid of my existing surround sound speakers that came with the TV and have all the sound going through the new DVD/Amp with its own speakers...

i know i can turn off the speakers on the TV by pressing a button on the rear so it means i dont have 2 volumes levels

i did see a nice NAD Amp and DVD player in the Whathifi mag with speaker set for about £700 which may be better value... as long as i can get rid of my existing speakers - the whole families happy !

Sorted (i think)