Queitpc PSU

P

paiger

Just replaced my old QuietPC PSU with a new 300W modela s the old one had started to whine a little after 2 years heavy use. I have found the new one to be significantly louder than the old which was whisper quiet when I got it. The new one has a switch, the old one didn't.

Has anyone else bought one recently and if so, whats it like? This thing is about the same as a standard PSU and the PC is now too annoying to leave on in the living room. It's also irritating to sit next to all day for work.

Any comments? Has quietpc gone down hill? Are there any better PSU's out there? I'm going to try it out of the case tomorrowto see if that makes a difference. I also have a Zalman flower cooler and quietpc case fan and they run very quietly. You barely notice when you stop them because of the PSU noise.

Have I got a dud one?

S

A 350w Enermax here, & very happy with it.

It's got a rheostat on the back, so for ultra quiet operation, just set it to it's lowest speed setting & it's virtually inaudible.

Very good build quality also - 2 fans fitted. A 92mm underneath (at very low RPM) & standard 80mm exhaust on the back.

Throughly recommend Enermax.

BTW, I'm watercooled, so the ONLY fan(s) in my system are in the PSU (rad cooling fans are outside), so when I say it's quiet, you can believe me.

The QuietPC PSUs are (IMO) just standard PSUs fitted with quiet (slow RPM) fans (which you could do yourself) & not worth the money.

OK, I've taken the side off my PC, removed the psu and set it on the floor beside, still connected up. On first power up it was still very noisy but quickly got quieter and quieter. Now almost silent. I'm figuring that this model has a thermostat controlling fan speed. My case temp is about 39-45 degrees usually, is this too hot? I have a case fan in there which has helped.

Pesently, my CPU is running at normal temp and the case is at 33 degrees without the psu. What are the options on having the psu ouside of the case and getting some extenders for the cables? I could stick another case fan in the hole where the psu was for good measure.

At the mo, it's blissfully quiet here but as soon as I stick the psu back in, it will get noisy again. Any ideas? I don't mind spending a few squid because I work at my pc all day so need a quiet atmosphere.

Does the psu actually need a fan if it's outside of the pc, is the fan just for the motherboards sake? I'm thinking of plonking the psu on a little shelf behing the desk and leaving it as it is.

The case temp is now actually falling with the psu out of it.

S

Your case temp is falling now because you've got the side of the PC!

Yes, PSUs DO need active cooling. The mosfets generate quite a bit of heat.

So there's no way of manually lowering the fan speed. Hmmm, Enermax has :eek: , nah, nah, nah!

You could open it up & replace the thermistor with a manual rheostat, but that will invalidate your warranty.

Your case temps are high, but if you've no stability problems they're not a major concern.

I'd say tell Quiet PC about the variable speed problem (i.e. your high case temps), & ask for a manually controlled version - or a refund & but an Enermax.

This morning the fan on my new Zalman flower cooler has started making grinding noises at low speed. What a big load of cr@p pc fans are. I'm totally ****ed off with the whole thing right now and have decided to use my laptop for the time being.

I'll have a look an the enermax.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom