Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Queer as Folk

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rhoamish, Oct 23, 2003.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aargh, it's painful, and there's still a lot of prejudice in the world...but I need to be the real me.

I'm coming out of the closet, and announcing to the world: My name is Rhoamish, and I like to listen to folk music.

Trouble is, I don't know where to look for more of the stuff I like. I've long been a Gong fan (not exactly folk, but seems to be classified as such in some places) and Pentangle. Recently, I discovered The Incredible String Band "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter", and it's awesome! I've also ordered a couple more ISB albums, and I'm keeping an eye on their tour schedules.

Can anyone recommend any other folk/psychedelia bands that complement these? I promise not to grow my hair or wear hand-made cardigans...

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, I do like 'different music', some folky kind I like are - Andy White, the men they couldn't hang, heidi berry...oldish stuff (late 80's / early 90's)...
    andy white - bit like bob dylan...
    the men... bit like the pogues..?

perhaps not true folk music, but decent all the same!

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do like a bit of Bob Dylan. Mind you, most of the folky stuff I like seems to be from the '60s. I might give Andy White a try, cheers!

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    ok, cool...his first album (rave on Andy white, c86) is great, mind the first track is naff! his second album wasn't that good, but his 3rd is supposed to go back to his roots!
    I for get the names of them, but I'll check them out now...try and get his first one if you can tho.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    in fact if you go on amazon.co.uk - they've got rave on, tho the orkginal album cover was a portraite of him! they've also got an compilation (import) too...

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Similar Artists: John Renbourn John McCutcheon Bert Jansch The Sallyangie Ashley Hutchings Davy Graham Fairport Convention Dave Swarbrick Frankie Armstrong The Incredible String Band

Roots and Influences: Charles Mingus A.L. Lloyd

from a music site, similarities with Pentangle.

Dont think Gong is even close to folk, if you like that sorta stuff, then try Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, PFM, Gentle Giant and Gryphon. More prog rock, with gentle overtones than folk.