1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen, Sony & Ipod (Funny)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JB5, Jun 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  2. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't say much about her intelligence I am afraid - good thing she doesn't hold any *real* power anymore, we might just have had more trouble than the Americans if she actually still ruled the country ... :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Inbreds :rotfl:

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Genetically challenged, one must feel the need to exclaim! :D :D :rotfl:

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Too many arrows? Maybe she should learn to read so she could tell what the arrows do.

6. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Im with her maj on this one except my problem with Sony is they are over priced @£$**, if you know what I mean ;)

Johann do we really need to have you fizzog staring at us in every thread!! :D

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it is overpriced, that is fair enough - but surely you can't complain about too many arrows - that really wouldn't put you in the 'clever person' bracket - look around you, it's not just me saying that!

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is a fizzog? You talkin' about my face? Well...let me just say :D if you are, that I have always wanted to question you about gerbilly... is it because you like doing funny things with little gerbils? heh? I've read some terrible things before you know...

9. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The HD5 is cheaper than an ipod.

10. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    That may be true but to reverse A johann comment the Sony is crap (software, buttons, playlists, hissing, noisy Hard disk) ;)

Johann I am afraid I dont have a fancy for the wee furry animals, a clue to my name is where I am from!

Please Please Please Johann get help for your Sony addiction it isnt healthy! :D

11. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In your opinion it is crap. In mine it is brilliant.

.I find Sonic stage easy to use. Im a sonic stage veteran though
    .My buttons are fine but ill admit the button thing is poor.
    .No hissing on my HD5
    .No noisy hard disk. Just the sound music encoded at 256kbs is all i hear..
    .Yes Iam a sony addict too.. :thumbsup:

12. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

I am only Joking mate if you like it thats fine, as I like my i-pod. I have only listened to the HD3 and I didnt like the sound quality.
    To be honest I love all things Apple. I have a mac at home and I despise all Bill gates worm infested virus beige boxes of hell. :devil:

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence Gerbil - but you gotta start thinking about keeping quiet about your undying love for that white trash brick with the ring on it... I think you will find a large proportion of people are sick and tired with the price you have to pay to have your 'superior?' sound quality and software - you pay for your luxury with sheer battery power, gapless playback, bass and the fact that something that used to be an exclusive item raved about in lads mags had now become well, to say the least common...

Maybe you should put your mug up too - or are you too scared you'll get mugged for your ipod? heh?

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm more worried about being mugged for my phones. The iPod backlash may be starting, but personally I'll take something which works very well than an inferior product whose only real advantage is battery and size, just to be different. If you must be different and you claim you aren't influenced by the same sort of marketing that affects the mindless contingent of iPod owners, you wouldn't pick a Sony.

(pauses to blow dust off HD5) :rotfl:

15. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Being working class myself I am proud to be as you say common. You might not be a fan of the pod but nothing and I mean nothing that Apple make is trash. As Dodgy puts it extremely well if you wanted to be wind swept and interesting and not be one of the crowd with an i-pod, then you would not buy Sony productions. A big nasty multi national with very poor customer relations. :D

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There's also a very good relationship with the press (even the ostensibly friendly press had to pan Sony's offerings until last year because there was nothing good about anything they made) and distributors/resellers.

If anyone's the true master of good solid marketing to shift lots of boxes to the happy clueless, it's Sony... not Apple. I know they've got my business while I was not privy to deeper audio knowledge on many occasions. They do make some excellent things and everything they make is still decently enginnered and looks nice, but these days the outstanding items seem increasingly to be more by accident than by design. Nowadays I try and be a little more discerning and concentrate on the substance instead of the name.

If you're happy with the HD5, great. And it's a fact that there is no perfect audio player at the moment and it is more a case of picking the optimum compromise for your use. But to those who loudly espouse the Sony's limited benefits to the detriment of all others, I'm reminded of a phrase I heard a comedian say about redneck attitude to learning... "aggressive ignorance".

17. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stumbled across the HD5 totally by accident way before it was released or before Sony officially acknowledged any plans to release it in Europe - I immediately decided I wanted one. So I'm afraid no marketing sold it to me.

Like I have said before in another thread (and really hoped you would understand by now) I am NO audiophile, like you dodge. The majority of other people are also NOT audiophiles. You have to have either very, very good ears or very, very good phones and/or preferably both if you REALLY want to hear the difference in quality between the iPod and the HD5. However the lack of bass is noticeble by all and on any pair of headphones. Also the fact that the pod can't play many cd's as they were intended is noticeble by all. I think bass and gapless are issues that a majority of people would be concerned about, compared to almost inaudible differences in sound.

I also said many times before, so here I go again, my argument is not a Sony V Apple one - but just an anti-apple one. I have issues with the HD5 myself - so I can't hold my hands up and recommend it wholeheartedly - but what i DO want to say is that there are MANY more options available than apple - so look further than the ads.

Please remember it this time so that I don't have to paste it another thread.

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from very awkward navigation which undoubtedly counted very much against it, the Vaio Pocket with updated firmware, in my opinion, had the best sound I ever heard on a DAP - it really was a good Sony product. I think it was better than the HD5 and even I could hear a difference - and I don't think I have particularly well tuned ears...

It also had a crystal clear screen and my vaio, although now being used by somebody else, never, ever gave any problems - really typical-Sony, firm build-quality... It is clear that the HD5 was rushed and skimped on...

I just don't believe it deserved to be slated as much as it was. The iPod photo by contrast has a screen that is blatantly 5 year old technology and did not really take off either - it perhaps deserved a few more negative comments...

19. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Actually, the funny thing is usually I'm not paying that much attention. I'm not in audiophile mode. What sells the iPod to me is the hardware versatility (e.g. allowing me to simply sit in a car dock and that's it, no recabling, fumbling with player, etc), very flexible automatic playlisting, the ease of syncing, loading and organisation of a very large library and no limits imposed on the music I choose to rip myself. I could name more, but you probably see the point. It's not about picking nits about the last 1% of the sound quality... it's about everyday usability and versatility. Something the HD5 lacks in spades.

And yes, I know many people say "I only listen to complete albums so I don't need that" but if you're building up a large digital library, to stick to the ad-hoc album listening mode is like driving a car in first all the time. There's much more variety available, and the playlisting features of iTunes are near-optimum compared to what else is out there to make you use them creatively.

The sound is curable. I use the Sennheiser HD25-1 often for example, a very good closed headphone with a prominent bass and a 70 ohm impedance. The falloff is not really evident with these.

The EQ sucks for sure. Gapless... have to say that's not an issue for me. Of the huge variety of music I listen to, gapless annoyance accounts for perhaps 1%. The iPod transitions tracks with a very small gap, but unless the tracks are specifically required to be gapless there's no extraneous noise involved in the transition. I can see it being a problem for many who listen to dance mixes, etc but for every dance/pink floyd junkie, there'll be ten people who listen to a large variety and couldn't give two hoots about gapless.

20. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The AP1 is a good player and once you get used to it I like the control system. It is rather large though, and a tractable size is one of the things which sells the iPod (and the HD's of course). Also unfortunately it's developed by the VAIO division. As reduced in stature as the Walkman division is, they still get first pick on marketing for stuff like this. If they made a better effort on the software, and if the first rumours about the AP1 being developed without must-use DRM were true, then it would have totally pulled the rug out from under the iPod. Alas. Well, it's a bargain now :rotfl:

21. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah...well, I couldn't argue with you, dodge:) See - I wouldn't utilise half of the functions you just metnioned, but perhaps it is because they were not available to me. I would never know - I am quite lazy with my player - all I use it for is to listen to, connect it to stereos at parties and perhaps a car dock would have been cool (if I actually owned a car and not just a bloody license...).

At the end of the day, we all have different needs and therefore different players - but I find it hard to believe that iPods really are the most suitable player for many people. The tide is turning and I reckon a lot of sales people around the world now offer people a more balanced choice when they walk into their nearest electronics shop and ask for advice...

22. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have a habit of editing my posts... might want to wait ten minutes after you spot a new one :D

23. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Once again I agree with most of what Dodgy says.

Sony at the moment is very hit and miss.

Excellent DVD recorders but very pricey.

TV's ok but dont seem to provide for the UK market with many of their sets lacking component, RGB, and HDMI connections.

Walkmens (CD) - Crap I have owned 4 different ones and all of them where awful.

Portable audio mp3 players I must admit like most Sony kit it does look nice but listening to the HD3 has clouded my judgement on this one.

To get back to Johann battery life isnt as major an issue as you make out as most people put their mp3 player back to charge when they get home. One more thing GAPLESS isnt that important to as many people as you seem to think. I hate live albums the quality of the audio is generally awful. I dont listen to awful dance music so again that doesnt bother me. The only time gapless has been a problem for me is with Marvin Gaye's Whats going on?.

However I can live with that.

I think the Sony is probably the best for you Johann with your particular unusual needs but for the vast majority the I-Pod does the job (sound quality) and is very easy to use.

I understand your problems with the i-pod but for the life of me I dont see what your problem is with apple. Anyone working in the music industry, graphics etc. will tell you the apple is superior. It is more expensive owning a mac, but I can quite confidently say in 8 years of owning mac's I have never had a virus of any kind on my computer, can all pc users say that.

24. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is the thing - I don't think it is *that* much bigger than the pod, it is significantly heavier though - and I think that confuses a lot of people and makes them think it is bigger. I copied and pasted the dimensions before (here they are again) as found on the apple and sony websites;

Vaio Pocket: 115.2mm x 63.3mm x 17.2mm Weight: 195gm
    iPod 20GB: 104mm x 61mm x 14mm Weight: 158gm

I remember just before I bought mine, I squared it up with my mate's 4th Gen 40GB iPod - they seemed exactely the same size.

On closer inspection you see the ipod is a centimetre shorter and two and three millimetres narrower. Those are small differences - it is however much heavier than the iPod which makes people associate it with 'much bigger'.

:)

25. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You took my answer too literally - My problem is with iPod, not Apple. But certainly Apple in the DAP world. So let's get this one straight - computer wise Apple is superior, still not totally suitable for me - it wouldn't run Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for a start.... I know Apple is used in almost all professional environments for music, graphics etc. I don't dispute that - hell, I'm not that stupid you know! So no, computer wise I could never slate Apple - I just hate the iPod.

I think we all agree to disagree on some issues - but with dance music dominating the charts (and in baby language that directly translates to most albums sold), it is clear that gapless playback WILL BE A HUGE issue for more people than you acknowledge:) Seriously. I hate cheesy dance compilations, but a huge majority of them requires gapless - and whether you and I agree, they are being sold - in their millions.

You gave me a good idea Gerbil - I got rid of my pic - I post way too many replies to have to stare at my own mug all the time...

26. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Wow... an actual direct link to a picture, even if it is on your site. You can do it after all iPodstudio.

28. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    wow great, another Sony versus Apple debate,

super, smashing, great :smashin:

29. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: