Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid HD-DVD

I have the HD-DVD and an HD-E1, this simply passes the audio as a core DTS stream to my amp...

I have the Pioneer DTS DVD of this concert and to me the sound is a huge improvement over that. The mix is much fuller and got bags of thump whereas all previous versions are very dry.

It is though very close to stereo in so far as the centre is not used at all (still don't agree that this is the best way to do it, and the rears only carry the odd bit of crowd noise and reverb.

However, for me, the sound was excellent.

Thanks for that. I was just wanting to clarify before I bought because of the 2 reviews.

Scott

just ordered this and as a fan , am looking forward to it :thumbsup:

The only HD-DVD that I have where the PQ actually improves as the concert goes on. The early shots of Freddie at the piano looke very muted and washed out, not as good as the Pioneer DVD, however it does improve later on. Wide band shots and shots of Roger's drum kit and individuals on stage look excellent and are very sharp in detail.

The change in PQ maybe due to the lighting or the original prints in the first reel or it maybe down Queens' notorious poor track record when it comes to authoring DVDs , not sure.

I'm also not a fan of teh sound engineer's (Justin-Shirley Smith) obsession with leaving out the centre channel (he's done this on the previous Queen Hits DVDs).

He (Justin) seems to think that the fans (and the non fans) are 'hi-fi purists' and would appreciate a 'proper stereo soundstage' when it comes to music as it's heard how HE hears it in the studio rather than how WE would LIKE to hear it at home on a 5.1 set up. HE'S DEAD WRONG, if that's what we want then we should at least have a choice of soundtracks. :mad:

Surely its how the band want it to be heard...........

It is their intellectual property after all, why should we have any control over it?

Why should we, we are only the paying fans after all.

And QP (Queen Productions) know best?

Have you seen the Hits DVD? they are farcical ann amateur like in their authoring and production.

QP are notorious for beeing out of touch with their fans interests in recent years. Their lack of interest in releasing early stuff as oposed to what appeals to the masses is world renown.

It and all the other material they have is indeed their 'intellectual property', but they don't always know what to to do with it or do it the 'correct' way.

Personally I prefer the DTS mix of the Pioneer We Will Rock You (aka Queen Rock Montreal) DVD, centre channel and all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom