Queen Montreal on Toshiba HD-EP30 Problems?

Paulsut

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, bought a Toshiba HD-EP30 recently, works fine with a number of HDDVD's, including 300, Supremcy, Transformers and Planet earth.

I recently purchased 'Queen Montreal' HD-DVD, but I'm always get the message 'The disc is not DVD format Cannot play the disc', I have tried cleaning the disc and powering down the player, but I always get this message.

I have upgraded the player to the latest version (1.3/1.1).

Has anyone else had this recent title working ok on the HD-EP30? Just want to know whether it's a known problem for a firmware release to fix, or a faulty disk to get replaced ?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paulsut I Have Had The Exact Same Problem Think I Will Phone Toshiba Tommorow To See If It Is The Player Or The Hddvd.

Hi, i think this has to be a player probelm as my copy won't play on my Tosh HD-EP30 either. I tried it on my Xbox HD-DVD drive and it worked fine.

Looks like im going to have to keep my xbox hd-dvd drive for a while yet!

Cheers

Andy

same problem here...was just about to post.

Going to borrow it to an E1-owning mate tomorrow and check the disc.

My first HD DVD problem...hopefully the last too.

The internet is a wonderful thing.

I have been waiting for this disc for a while and being a big Queen fan imagine my disappointment when it didn't play.

At least now I know it is a player problem and that I am not the only one !

I don't have the XBox add-on and don't plan to buy it just to play this disc, maybe I should have got the Blu ray version...

Glad I'm not the only one, looking forward to version 1.4 of the firmware!

So is updating the firmware going to be a weekly chore? Just worried that eventually something will interupt the power supply and my player will be dead!!

Thanks for all your responses !!

Cheers Paul

Just Phoned Toshiba They Said They No Of The Problem And Are Working On It. Will Have To Wait For A Firmware Update .:(

oh.....ive just ordered teh Led Zeplin :stairway to heaven disc ...... anyone got problems with that ?

Just received the following response from Toshiba on this, confirming what was said earlier :-

Subject: Re: Problem with 'Queen Montreal' HD DVD problem with HD-EP30

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

If you mean the Queen in Montreal concert HD DVD we have been told about a problem on this disc. It looks as though it will be solved by a future firmware upgrade from the feedback we have had.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or feel free to reply by E-mail.

We trust that the information is to your satisfaction. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the above number.

Kind regards,

Toshiba Consumer Products Division Helpdesk

At least it's good to know that they acknowledge that there is a problem and are going to deal with it. Other manufacurers should take note...

At least it's good to know that they acknowledge that there is a problem and are going to deal with it. Other manufacurers should take note...

Just aspoke to Toshiba, and isnt it nice to speak to a person not a remote setup? They say they have had a couple of discs that give problems, Queen Montreal is one [I sent the wife out with some friends, got the cans out the fridge settled back and b****r. Wont play. gutted.]
They also say firmware upgrade no. 1.5 should be out about half way through January 08. not oo long.

Will have to wait.

Had a phone call earlier from my Brother in Law saying he could not play Queen Live in Montreal on his EP-30.
He had firmware 1.1 so once I'd lent him my 15m CAT5e cable and talked him through the firmware upgrade he promptly called me back to say it still isn't working :(

I then found this thread :)
Good news they are working on it so lets hope the new firmware addresses these issues and more.

Does anyone know if this plays on the EP35 as I 've just ordered it.

Doesn't play on my EP-35 and searching on here says it won't play on any EP-35's no matter what version firmware you have. I've got latest 1.3 firmware and get MSSG error code and screen saying 'This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc.:(

I had set myself up to watch this as my wife is out for the evening and my Fosters :beer: is in hand. Got to hope another firmware update whenever it is released cures it.

Andy.

Anybody got this working with an XE1? Since the latest firmware update, everything works apart from Superman Returns with still crashes....

Anybody got this working with an XE1? Since the latest firmware update, everything works apart from Superman Returns with still crashes....

I will let you all know when i get mine through the post this week i hope:rolleyes:

jon

Works fine on an E1, so may well be ok on an XE1.

Sounds superb btw, worth the wait if you're a fan, as with all live Queen stuff sounds much better with the volume right up :thumbsup:

i too have a problem with this disc on HD-DVD. I am playing it on HTPC with the latest PowerDVD on XP. I can open the disc, and I can play it with the PCM audio, which is only 2 channel through spdif, but when I try the DTS soundtrack, it plays, but badly out of sync. Also the SD version of the live aid concert has this bizarre skipping in the video (audio is fine). really annoying as it happens all the time. Not like 24fps to 25fps - more like bad disc/ encode...

anyone else had similar probs??

just a quick word,first disc to refuse to play on my ep-35 put it in all i get is display saying:disc does not contain dvd content??queen rock montreal&live aid,any body having same problem:cool:

I think Toshiba know about this and are fixing it on the new firmware out shortly.
Since the new firmware for the first/second gen players just came out.. it might be pretty soon. Anyone know how long the gap was on the previous firmware?

Ah so the new firmware isn't out yet. OK.

Being just about to take the plunge on the EP 35 this kind of thing does make me kinda nervous.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom