1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen Greatest Video Hits II- The DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cribeiro, Feb 4, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi Guys and girls!
    I just wanted to share my delighting experience when I listened at this dvd (well, the image was a plus, but the sound is the impressive thing... It is music, after all...).
    This dvd showed me how my very modest hifi speakers can give a lot with a perfect recording and mixing like this.
    I tell you I went straight to the song "Princes of the Universe" (understandable, right?), and felt wrapped by the music like if I had the band playing in my room. It was a step as big as when I changed from stereo to multichannel... And I didn't change my multichannel av system!
    The stage was clearly drawn in front of me, detailed, with depth and presence, and also very wide. I had never heard something like that before, except once in a THX certified cinema...
    The mix in 5.1 channels was also very well done, with music also wrapping from behind, or turning around. Always keeping that staggering effect, wide and deep, placing the sounds in the room with a lot of precision.
    I felt in Heaven. I listened to it several times, at various loudness levels, and it kept as good at all of them (can't say in absolute numbers, i.e., respect to reference, but to give you a hint, I have a Yamaha rx-v 530 and I played it between -40dB and -60dB).
    I have also listened to the rest of the material in the dvd's, and it keeps up to that quality level. It's only that this song sounds specially impressive.
    I think it is a must in any demonstration room.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I agree the sound is awesome even with the absence of a center channel on some tracks.

It's a shame that they didn't put as much effort into remastering the picture which isn't up to the usual DVD standard. But better than Hits 1 which has to be one ofthe WORST DVD pics I have ever seen!

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Actually, I'd like to comment on that... I realized that the center channel was completely mute, and I was wondering if something was wrong. But there is at least one passage where some sound comes from that channel, that made me think it was made like that on purpuse.
    Actually, I think it was a very clever idea, because the center channel locates too much the sound, and with only two channels they could make a wide stage with the voice not simply coming from the center channel (like in Metallica's S&M, for example... ACtually, that is also very good), but rather more embedded in the music.
    Well, maybe the fact that my center channel is a little bit higher than the main speakers spoils the sound when playing multichannel, specially because I sit quite close to the tv. I am thinking I have to fix that...

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It was a 'creative' decision made by Brian May and sound engineer Justin Shirley-Smith.

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    What do you mean by "creative"? Can you say more about it, or tell me where that information can be found? Thanks!

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Brian isn't a fan of using the centre channel for music.
    He's more in favour of the traditional stereo sound stage across the two front speakers in a surround set up.

There's a detailed article about this decision on the web somewhere. I'll try and dig it up.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree, the sound on QGH2 is awesome! I think one of the best tracks also for demo purposes is 'Breakthru'. I always thought it sounded a bit watered down on the CD, but the bass on this DVD edition is astounding! Brian May is really doing a great job with all of the recently released DVD and DVD-A Queen material. Check out the 'A Night At The Opera' DVD-A - it's amazing! :smashin:

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Rumour has it that Queen 2 is next to get the DVDA treatment :clap:

9. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    That's great. But I think my dvd player doesn't play dvd audio... (it is a very cheap one, unknown brand...) I was thinking about buying the Yamaha s540, but I don't know if it plays dvd audio... Maybe I will have to change my mind!... Because "A night at the opera" must sound great in 5 channel, I think it was conceived for such a format! And Queen II is one of my favourite albums, so I will go for it! Oh, yesterday I bought in ebay the GReatest Video Hits I, I am waiting anxiously to play Bohemian Rhapsody in 5 channels!

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    You can still pay the standard DTS tracks with ANY DVD Player and DTS system. 'DVD Audio' is the advanced resloution track which only DVD Audio compatible players can play

11. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Let's see if I got it right... You mean that a DVD audio like "A night at the opera" could be played as standard dts in a dvd player which is not DVD-Audio compatible?
    Sorry if it is a stupid question, I never got into the DVD-Audio and SACD stuff... I always thought it was not into my budget limits...

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you can play movies in DTS, then you can play Queen DVD-As.

13. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Ok, thanks guys, you have just given me a new way to spend my money...
    I didn't know that... I wonder if it would be better to be still ignoring it... My girlfriend will kill me!

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    To be honest, I personally think the DTS soundtrack on these sounds better then the 'proper' DVD-A sound. The bass is just wonderful! :D