1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen - A Night At The Opera DVD-A Review

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Cool-hand, May 19, 2002.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi all

I've Had my copy of Queen - A Night At The Opera now for a few days and am just letting you know (if you wanna) my thoughts on it.

Well quite frankly I am gob smacked! This has got to be the best DVD-Audio music disc on earth. This album is over 20 years old and sounds like it was recorded yesterday. The sound is strong, dynamic and full of energy ((as most of Queens music was/is) but I mean on a techy anorach type level. If your not a fan of Queens music then this won't interest you)!

From the opening track of 'Death on two legs' I was amazed at how well it sounded, crisp, clear, clean and open. The steering of the sound is excellent with vocals, drums and guitars being shared between all the speakers on a very professional level. Speaking of level the sound levels are superb on the rears. Now I own a few DVD Audio discs and have found that on some discs the rear channels are quieter than the fronts and sometimes thin on fx, can't explain why ((this is also the case on some DVD films including EX/ES movies) obvisouly the thin on fx are down to the engineer and encoder), this requires me to faff about with the amp settings which is balls as far as i'm concerned. This disc requires no amp adjustments whatsoever.

The vocals again on 'Love Of My Life' are precise and clear and make this track very engaging, well for me they did. Those of you who could be bothered to wait in line for the Denon demo at the Bristol show may remember this track. Its not surprising this is a fav demo disc at shows.

Well I guess most people want to know how well 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was remastered. Well you will not be let down. This is a prime candidate for 5.1. With all the "Gallileo", "Figaro - Magnifico"'s and "Bismillah - no we will not let you go!" sounding lively and completely encapsulating you. Much credit must go to the person/s responsible for the sound steering of this album (I know I said that but I had to say it again).

One interesting point here is that the on-screen lyric pages automaticly move on with the songs rather than having to press 'enter' on the remote as with all other DVD Audio discs. Not a major issue but a nice little touch. Some of you probably switch the video circuitry off, bah!
    My speakers are only Humble KEF's but this still sounds great so If you've got great 5.1 speakers this album is gonna really rock for you.

If you can play DVD Audio discs then you must buy this Album. This is what Hi-resolution multi channel music is all about.

Sorry I haven't even tried this disc in DVD mode or DTS so I can't comment but I'm sure it will still be great

KIT.
    Pioneer 503HDE plasma
    Toshiba sd900e
    Denon 3802
    KEF 5002 (7.2) Gonna have to consider an upgrade now, damn it!
    Silver Spiral Interconnects
    Silver Ann. S/W

UPDATE
    I have recently read on this forum a thread which has described this Album as disgraceful. This is an outrageous comment and clearly made by someone who does not like Queens' music.
    This review is a review of the sound quality not content and is in my own honest humble opinion.

I await the backlash..................arrrrrrrrrr

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Heh heh, I started that thread, and I stand by my comments. I really like the disc.

I don't have DVD-A playback capability, and this is the first high-bitrate surround audio disc I've bought, so I don't have a base to compare it to. However, that does not stop it from being a stunning album.

As you said, the clarity is incredible (especially when you take into account the reported decaying condition of the original tapes). It's got the right amount (IMO) of seperation of the vocals/instruments as well.

My only complaint would be that to watch the video of BoRhap you have to re-start the track, annd it doesn't then continue into God save the Queen afterwards. I don't know if that's because I use an HCPC or not.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snowman,
    To assume I don't like Queen is even more outrageous. If I didn't like Queen I wouldn't have bought the disc, period.

By the way, I have as much right to an "honest humble opinion" as you have. Just thought I'd remind you of that.
    There, thats my backlash.

Eric

4. wflem007

wflem007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snowman

Brian May was on Nicky Campbell/Radio 5 Live last week, and just happened to mention that he was just going/just came back from the States where he was re-mastering all the Queen stuff for 5.1 multi channel.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Of course. Just very very surprised, but as gentlemen we can agree to disagree.

wflem007, thats really interesting, I didn't spot that. Looking closer at the cover I can see 'Brian May co-produced for Queen'.
    I thought BM and company no longer wanted any play in Queens musical affairs?

6. wflem007

wflem007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snowman

Yeah, a lot of radio interveiwing going on with Ben Elton doing the promo of this new Queen Stage Musical which he and Brian, and Roger (but not John as I interpreted it) are involved in.

I wasn't aware that Brian was doing a bodyswerve on past Queen stuff - biting the hand that feeds perhaps ? Anyway, there is 5.1 stuff in the wings somewhere down the line but I don't know if it is DVDA or SACD.

If the Beatles are still the best band ever, even after 40 years, then bands such as Queen and the Beach Boys are there or there abouts.

Everyone in Queen has written No 1 songs which even the Beatles didn't manage.

7. Slug Bait

Slug Bait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a great fan of Queen I also agree with whoever it was that said that this is a disgrace.

Anyone that wants my copy is welcome to it.

8. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could do with a new coaster for my coffee table, i'll have it

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its well known that each member has individually written hit singles, but I wasn't aware they had each written No 1 songs. Could you tell us what they are?

Rob.

10. wflem007

wflem007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

Sorry - can't help you on the titles - it was a statement made by Ben Elton during his Radio 5 Live interview.

11. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think it was a worldwide thing rather than just the UK. Funnily enough Ben Elton was on Radio 2 today, and said it. The only UK no. 1s were Bohemian Rhapsody (obvoiusly) written by Freddie and Innuendo, a combined effort. The days of our lives was also a collaberation of the four.

Looking forward to seeing the stage show though. Reviews have been very positive generally.

Regards Rob.

12. etc6849

etc6849

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if anyone will ever read this reply in 2009, but what version of the dvd audio disc are you reviewing?

There appears to be two versions: one with a blue spine (2001) and one with a black spine (2002). I'm not sure which has mlp, but I'm guessing the 2002 release is better some how? Any comments?

13. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    QUOTE=etc6849;9224990]Not sure if anyone will ever read this reply in 2009, but what version of the dvd audio disc are you reviewing?

There appears to be two versions: one with a blue spine (2001) and one with a black spine (2002). I'm not sure which has mlp, but I'm guessing the 2002 release is better some how? Any comments?[/QUOTE]

Ah, well here's somebody that's read your post. I'm a great fan of DVD-A (and SACD), so this thread caught my eye. I don't actually have this album, and I couldn't even describe myself as a great fan of Queen. These hi-res formats have really changed the way I enjoy music though, and so I'm always on the look-out for new albums to widen my repertoire.

Since your post, I've "Googled" around a bit, and found the following links that may be of interest. By the way, the DVD-A Registry can be a useful for information of what has been released - or what is available.

DVD-A Registry

If you put "Queen" into the search "Artist/Title" field, you should come across the album mentioned. It certainly seems to match the info given on the DVD-A Registry, i.e. that it's a bonafide DVD-A, ie with MLP audio. This is the 2002 version. I haven't yet seen one from 2001. You'll see a number for sale on Amazon.

I also found this preview, which may be of interest to you. Obviously, all that matters is that the listener likes what they hear - and we all have different tastes and expectations.

DVD-Audio Review: Queen - ‘A Night at the Opera’

I hope I'm not pointing out what you already now. Hope this helps.:thumbsup: