Quatermass

Setenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've recently been catching up with all things Nigel Kneale, and amoung these was the 1978 Euston Films "Quatermass", with Sir John Mills in the title roll. The R2 boxset has both the original 4 part series (50 minutes an episode) and the truncated feature film version.

Now I haven't seen this since it's original transmission date. Isn't it amazing how things stick in your mind. The stone circles, the planet people, the exploding crystallised child. Although suffering from a miscast but competent lead, this final entry in the Quatermass mythos still has a very creative and cerebral storyline. Considering the scope and insight of Kneales imagination, I am amazed and saddened that he has not done more.

The whole of Quatermass series are well worth revisiting. They still maintain a compelling narative and involve the viewer on an intellectual level. There commentary on the nature of science, ethics, the media, racism and evil are still relevant, even if some of the superficial trappings have dated.

But to my mind, Quatermass & the pit (both TV and feature film version) are the summit of Kneale's work. A truly masterful work. So for those bored with the Fx's laden mind rot that is churned out today, masquerading as Sci-Fi (and I'm sure the next Will Smith epic will fall into this category) try some retro mind food and be entertained.

I ordered this boxset from cd101 for the bargaintastic £15.99 and it was despatched monday :)

QM and the pit is great - pitty we can't get it on dvd :(

The original TV series with Andre Morrell of QM&TP is available on DVD R2. The Hammer film is available but only as part of a boxset in the UK. It is available in Spain R2 and R1. The US version has a wonderful commentary by Kneale and Val Guest.

I have the old TV version of Quatermass and the Pit and watching if for the first time about 10 years back chilled me to the bone more than anything modern day films did. Although I have watched it since and it did not have the same impact.

I would really like to see them bring Quatermass II (the TV version) as I had privilege to see one episode of it on a BBC night of old programs and that was chilling, with the original and Pit it was light years ahead of its contemporises.
For those who do not know it but Quatermass and the Pit (TV version) is now available on DVD.

[Edit] I see whilst I was typing you mention the DVD.

Found the details for QM+TP.

Only available in the UK as part of the Warner´s 6-disc "Hammer Horror Resurrected" box set, with "Rasputin, The Mad Monk", "Frankenstein Created Woman", "The Plague Of Zombies", "The Vengeance of She", and "To The Devil A Daughter".

play have it for 48.99. ouch :(

dvdsoon have the r1 as discontinued. double :(

amazon.ca have it at cad$ 30.79 (£12.50 ish)

If you want the original TV version of Quatermass and the Pit there are a couple of VHS versions on eBay going for around £5.

There's a recent set of Hammer double bills released on R1 for cheap money.

Go to DVD Soon and there's one listed as "Quatermass/Quatermass 2" If you look at the sleeve it's actually "Quatermass 2" and "Quatermass and the Pit".

That's the one that I got. 2 disc set. QATP is a double sided disc with extras on side B. Both have commentary tracks. A nice buy.

Picked up the above mentioned "Hammer Horror Resurrected" box set in the Virgin Sale for £39.99 (£20 off the SRP).

Thanks for the DVDsoon 2box set tip - I've been after this for ages, and thought I was going to have to buy the 6 box set on ebay or something!

Just ordered it, but it's on back order. I can wait though.

QMATP scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it as a kid, and still gives me shivers now thinking about it! Great film and can't wait to see it again.

Many thanks for the heads up. :)

Gary.

Major bummer - it's now listed as discontinued, so I've had to cancel the order and look elsewhere... :(

Gary.

The reason that Anchor Bay were shoving these Hammer double bills out at a cheapo price was because the rights were about to expire. Looks like they've expired... :(

However :) , rights for the titles in the USA have gone to Blue Underground who are promising lovely special editions of all the classic titles. :clap:

If you can't wait the 6 disc R2 box set is doing the sales in various places at £29.99 - half price (as it was one week after I'd bought it for £39.99! :rolleyes: ). Some other good titles in the set - only real stinker is "Vengeance of She".

Thanks for the info Pauley - any ideas on the special edition release dates?

I'll keep an eye out for the£29.99 box set deal though. :)

Gary.

Dunno mate. Didn't think the Anchor Bay rights were so close to expiring.

Oh well, just picked up a R1 copy from ebay in the US, so hopefully that will arrive OK.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom