Quatermass (John Mills) 1970s TV series

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The Limey, Jun 21, 2015.

1. The Limey

The Limey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    If you go to the Network Home page:
    Network Distributing Ltd Film TV Home Entertainment

Click on the pop up detonator - and you get what appears to be a Hi Def trailer for the classic 1970s series of Quatermass with John Mills. Looks as though a little restoration has gone on for what is almost certainly an upcoming BD release. Day One for me.

2. trax101

trax101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I have the three disc DVD version, but would love a hi def transfer of this!

3. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    I have the DVD as well and don't think it's aged well. I much prefer the earlier BBC incarnations.

4. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,707
    I didn't rate it on it's first transmission. Like you I enjoy the BBC versions and I also love the film version of Quatermass And The Pit

Bri

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,456
    Ditto.
    The BBC were scary even the Pit was scary and saw it in my 30's one evening on my own with the lights out, and practically nothing scares me on film or TV, only thing that gets to me is distaste.
    But found the ITV series more annoying than anything especially that nursery rhyme. Although not seen since original transmission.

6. The Limey

The Limey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    I have actually grown to like it more over the years. The full version remains my favourite and is quite a prophetic (in places) piece of Sci Fi with nicely nuanced performances from the cast.

7. The Limey

The Limey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    "John Mills brings a stoic intensity to the role of Professor Bernard Quatermass in this key piece of British dystopian fiction from visionary writer Nigel Kneale. Unsettling in its vision of a crumbling society coming under alien attack, Quatermass is directed with characteristic style by BAFTA winner Piers Haggard and features the high production values associated with Euston Films. Shot on 35mm, the original negatives have been used for this stunning, brand-new High Definition restoration – a new 5.1 mix from original triple-track audio elements is also presented here alongside the original mono soundtrack.

Bernard Quatermass, former head of the British Rocket Group, lives in seclusion in western Scotland, watching in appalled silence as Britain slowly turns into a vision of violence, gang rule and governmental collapse. A desperate search for his missing granddaughter plunges him into a terrifying situation when he comes to realise that the mass disappearance of thousands of youths is nothing less than the culling of the human species by an unknown alien intelligence...

Special Features:
    [] Brand-new 5.1 mix for episodic version
    [] Brand-new HD restoration of The Quatermass Conclusion in its original theatrical aspect ratio
    [] Music-only tracks for all four episodes
    [] Episode recaps
    [] Textless titles
    [] Image Gallery
    [] Booklet by archive TV historian Andrew Pixley"

Network ON AIR > Quatermass