1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quandry - Pio 2011/AX5i vs Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by slyborg, Sep 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I currently have the 2011 on order but am starting to wonder if they will be able to get hold of one. I have found somewhere which claims to have one in stock. Now knowing how hard these are to get I'm now in a quandry/hurry. I've heard about the audio delay the denon has and I do suffer from lip-sync with Sky quite often. I didn't however realise the 3803 had an upscaler and could save me a huge hassle that I currently have with switching video sources (worried the s-video socket on my plasma is going to get worn out!)

The problem I have it that I can't audition the 2011 and compare it to the 3803.

By any chance has anyone ever compared the 2 and if so could they give me a roug idea of what they thought?

One additional note is that primary use is for TV/Movies, I rarely if ever listen to music through the amp.

Thanks

Si

2. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And now you can throw the Onkyo TX-NR801E it too included video transcoding and is THX certified.

3. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    In my opinion the Pioneer was better musically, especially with the front speakers bi-amped. The Denon seemed a little clearer for surround but I must stress that this difference was small. If video delay is important then no contest go for the Denon.

I went for the pioneer in the end as I got a better deal & music performance is important to me. I also prefer the build & finish. Problem is it shows how much I need a new DVD/CD player now. Doh!

It is a seriously good amp for the money, if you can get hold of one. They are like hens teeth at the moment and the replacement is going to be more expensive.

4. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers, to be honest the delay and video switching/were what swung it for me. I'm sick of constantly switching the plug at the back. Add to that impatience at wanting to run my new B&W's and SVS with a nice amp, so given I could get a Denon immediately I went for that.

Si
    PS: Now gotta wait for an SPL meter seeing as the Denon doesn't come with funky autocalibration.