1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quandr, which tv?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ccfc1972, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ccfc1972

ccfc1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I need new tv. I thought this would be easy so I set about checking the web, online shops, ebay etc to see what the best option was. I didn't think it was possible to get this confused.

I have around £1,000 to spend, could possibly stretch up to about £1,200. I was going to go for a plasma, but it seems the lower end screens aren't that great, then there's all the messing around with tuners, imputs, whatever so after more searching I decided a rear projection was the way forward. A nice Sony KF42SX300 going on ebay for around £800. Ideal I thought. Then I read on another forum that rear-projection tvs are a nightmare to watch football on, which really is no good for me.

I guess the question is are all rear-projection tvs bad for watching football on, especially through a sky+ box? I can't go for an old CRT, just too big and bulky, so am I back to plasma? If so, can I get a decent one for around £1,200 with all the necessary set-up?

If someone could recommend the ideal tv for a 30something, football addict, obsessed by big screen viewing for around the £1,000-£1,200 mark I'd be very, very grateful.

Any ideas?

2. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I own the 60" version Sony rear projection tv & I think it's amazing! (Size really does matter! :) ) One of my colleagues at work also bought the 42" version after I bought mine & he too is very happy with his purchase.
    I won't lie to you the picture is not quite as clear as a CRT tv but it's not far off! it's all subjective anyway, you really do have to see all the equipment (together preferably) and make your own mind up, I did and am delighted with my choice.
    I too looked at plasma, rear projection & LCD before deciding the best value was the Sony rear projection (Robert Whyte Ltd - interest free option).
    That said I am now looking to purchase a 42" plasma for the "day room" where the kids can "chill out" in peace instead of me having a go at them for changing the settings on my tv, amp etc............... the only reason I would go for a plasma this time is due to the available space, the day room is approx 13 foot square which IMO is too small for a rear projection.

John